Pushed my bike home yesterday

Steve G.

Replacement of the electric petcock with a manual one, new fuel lines, and firesleeve over the petcock lines over the winter. A test ride ended in a non running bike after 5 minutes of running, probably residual fuel burned up in the pump. I'm pretty sure it's a kinked fuel line at the petcock. I sure hope I havn't burned out the external fuel pump!!

Steve

Replacement of the electric petcock with a manual one, new fuel lines, and firesleeve over the petcock lines over the winter. A test ride ended in a non running bike after 5 minutes of running, probably residual fuel burned up in the pump. I'm pretty sure it's a kinked fuel line at the petcock. I sure hope I havn't burned out the external fuel pump!!

Steve

It should be okay....

Steve? I think I already replied to this on WG.

Before ripping in to anything try swapping a few relays around or better yet get a spare and replace each one in turn. My guess is that the fuel pump relay has shat itself. You can try to get the bike running by swapping it with the one that controls the lights and dashbord. If it fires up then you've found the culprit. Bear in mind though that the one that controls the dashe etc. also governs the charging circuit so while it may run it won't charge.

Pete

Steve? I think I already replied to this on WG.

Before ripping in to anything try swapping a few relays around or better yet get a spare and replace each one in turn. My guess is that the fuel pump relay has shat itself. You can try to get the bike running by swapping it with the one that controls the lights and dashbord. If it fires up then you've found the culprit. Bear in mind though that the one that controls the dashe etc. also governs the charging circuit so while it may run it won't charge.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I just tried this a couple minutes ago. It doesn't seem to have changed anything. Before and after I changed the relay, when turning the key on, the pump is heard ramping up the pressure. However, it has a distincty different sound since the fuel line change, a laboured kind of whimper. We shall see!

Steve

Is your fuel pump mounted on the frame rail or down on the side beneath the tank? What did you repair to get a flow of fuel? If you disconnect the return line on the r.h.side this will give you evidence of fuel flow when you turn the ignition on.MG does not seem to follow any order in the assembly of these fuel line routings but I hope you get the same results. The fuel petcock is "on"? Verify this by pulling this fuel line and watching a LARGE amount of fuel go everywhere before you reattach the fuel line.

p.s. How many times did you cycle the ignition before you gave up and pushed your chariot back to the house?

Is your fuel pump mounted on the frame rail or down on the side beneath the tank? What did you repair to get a flow of fuel? If you disconnect the return line on the r.h.side this will give you evidence of fuel flow when you turn the ignition on.MG does not seem to follow any order in the assembly of these fuel line routings but I hope you get the same results. The fuel petcock is "on"? Verify this by pulling this fuel line and watching a LARGE amount of fuel go everywhere before you reattach the fuel line.

p.s. How many times did you cycle the ignition before you gave up and pushed your chariot back to the house?

I've got the pump in the centre of the frame rail.

What I did was to install some firesleeve heat protector over the new fuel lines. With this stuff on, it's made things quite crowded down there. I ran the line underneath the throttle rocker assembly to avoid sticking the throttle open, but underneath is really crowded now, causing what I think is a kink in the fuel line off of the petcock. I may have to slightly adjust the petcock angle of output as well as trim down the fuel line and firesleeve.

Steve

Just as I thought, it was the fuel line off of the petcock. Trimmed it 3", re-routed it above the throttle rocker with no issues. Turned the key, and the characteristic fuel pump humm signalled the first sign that all was good. Pressed the button for almost 5 seconds and she fired. Took it out for 1/2 hr including a spring through the gears up to 180K, all is good!

Steve