Inexpensive bike stand

Steve W

My LeMans is one of 3 bikes I currently own that don't have a center stand. I really don't like not having a center stand, but there's generally reasons for there not to be one, I suppose (exhaust systems). Anyway, I got a Harbor Freight ad a couple weeks ago with a "new item" - a universal bike stand for bikes w/ dual sided swing arms for all of $38 (or something like that) so thought I'd give it a try. Here's what it looks like...

stand.jpg

The universal part comes from the width adjustment, I guess. In any case, if the little arm things were spread out to their extremes, I could fit it under the LeMans swingarm, here's an action photo.

guzzionstand.jpg

So, it seems to do the trick. That said, it really is a 2 person job to get the bike on and off of the thing - as you pretty much have to be directly behind the bike/stand to lever it up into position - and I wouldn't be comfortable doing so w/out somebody steadying the bike vertically I guess that's why I stay married.. :D Other than that, it seems like a decent solution, particuarly for those w/ multiple similarly afflicted bikes to maintain. It definitely made my engine block painting project a little less irritating.

Steve