Headlight question

Tom M

I added a dedicated power feed with relays to my LeMans headlight a few years ago and both lights are definitely brighter than before. The high beam is great, no complaints there, but I still can't see very well with the low beam. The beam pattern seems wide and shallow, and it doesn't really throw enough light down the road, at least for my eyes. If I adjust the headlight light up much more the high beam will be too high. I'm running the standard 60/55w bulb now, don't know if a hotter bulb will help. I think the non-LeMans V11s use a different headlight so you Sport/Ballabio/Cafe owners might not have this problem.

Any suggestions on improving the LeMans low beam besides just riding around with high beam on all the time? Are any of you running hotter bulbs with good results? Is it just me with this problem? I know younger eyes would probably help, but they're out of my price range.

Any suggestions on improving the LeMans low beam besides just riding around with high beam on all the time?

A different reflector would do the trick... :nerd:

;)

I run a hotter bulb (SilverStar) but this is only some help. You end up with more light but it still is not spread out well.

A better reflector would be a better solution, but I am happy enough with the new bulb.

I use high-end 60/55 bulbs like Philips "Extreme Power". 80% more light or so they say. Osram has something similar I think. The difference to a cheap crap bulb is huge.

A different reflector would do the trick... :nerd:

;)

Got any suggestions? Is the headlight on your SV any better or worse than your LeMans headlight?

The Griso and the V7 Classic both look like they have fluted reflectors like the LeMans. I wonder if they're the same part?

Hey Griso owners, how do you like those headlights?

Got any suggestions? Is the headlight on your SV any better or worse than your LeMans headlight?

The Griso and the V7 Classic both look like they have fluted reflectors like the LeMans. I wonder if they're the same part?

The SV headlight has decent coverage up close, but poor output for distance. I've never gotten around to wiring up a direct line to the battery & dedicated relay setup for it.

I'm going out to the garage right now to put in both the Eastern Beaver H4 relay kit, and the new PIAA "Extreme White Plus" bulb. The one thing I do not like about these bikes is this exact headlight problem. Up till now, I have the light pointed up high enough to push the low beam as far out as it will go. I don't even use high beam as it spreads out side to side, not down the road. I must give credit where it is due though. High beam does warn me of what I would hit if I took my turn too wide, and blinds the squirrels so badly that they don't have the balls to run down the tree and in front of me. Right now, the Nero is a spine, an engine hanging from the spine, and a tail section (15,000 mile full servicing in progress), so I will report more when I've had a chance to ride a little. :thumbsup: