Help! Installing TL Center stand and Exhaust

RHIP

I tried installing my Teo Lamers center stand on my Rosso Mandello today, without luck. Greg at MI assembled it and shipped it to me, gave me some advice over the phone when I ordered it, but was out today when I called for more help.

For anyone who has successfully installed one of these, my first question is - do I need to disassemble it before I can get it on? Greg never mentioned it, and I didn't ask - somehow I thought it would just slip in. My problem is that it won't clear the mounting brackets for the X-pipe when it is assembled. I think if I take it apart, I can get the crosspiece in, but it looks to be a real bear to bolt this thing together when the crosspiece is on the bike.

He had suggested unbolting the exhaust at the rear and loosening the front and having a friend press it down. My friend kept pressing until the left muffler is almost level, and now it looks like it is going to be a bear to ever get that muffler close to its mounting bolt. Is it possible to bend the pipes by doing this? What's the correct procedure for remounting a stock exhaust? Tighten the header first and work back, or keep everything loose until the fasteners are in place at each mounting?

Update. I disassembled the center stand, so see if I could get it fit under the bike, with the fun task of reassembling it once the crossbar was in. As some old posts noted, the '02 frame change meant that the original version of the Lamers stand won't fit on newer bikes. The 2001 Rosso Mandello, as an interim bike, apparently has the wider frame, because the version I have is too narrow. I'll be calling Greg on Monday to see what we can do.

Reassemble the stand off the bike.

Remove the brake lever.

Remove the bolt below and behind the lefty peg.

Loosen but do not remove the exhaust header nuts and clamps at the crossover.

Remove the bolts holding on the mufflers to their hangers.

Remove the rear hanger bolt for the crossover.

Have someone push down gently on the mufflers.

Wiggle the red crossbar of the stand up and over the crossover tubes and affix it to the porkchops on the left with the bolt removed in step 3. Affix it to the right porkchop with the brake lever and its bolt (leaving out the spacer).

Bolt the red "tabs" to the frame bracket underneath.

Retighten the exhaust.

DOne.

• 3 months later...

I had a big problem installing this stand too.

Stand would not clear Stuchhi cross over,and will just fit with factory cross over.

Any tips on how to refit with Stuchhi cross over?

Some of the mounting bolts supplied with the kit appear to be a little on the short side and may be worth replacing if you dont want the stand to work loose.

I had a big problem installing this stand too.

Stand would not clear Stuchhi cross over,and will just fit with factory cross over.

Any tips on how to refit with Stuchhi cross over?

Some of the mounting bolts supplied with the kit appear to be a little on the short side and may be worth replacing if you dont want the stand to work loose.

You're going to have to pound some clearance divots in the crossover, or return to using the stock crossover. The stand will also work with the Mistral crossover.