Time to set the TPI...two questions

stormsedge

Guest ratchethack
. . .give me picture of what you guys think is an opened unsealed TPS. You won't find one.

Hubert

OK, Hubert. Confession time. You're right. Of all the photo's I've taken of the underside of V11 TPS's, turns out none are open. All are sealed, exactly as you insist. I made up the bullshit (your term) about cleaning the winding and wiper contacts through the open bottom out o' thin air, just to see if anyone was paying attention 3 years ago. I got Docc to go along with the Grand Charade way back then (and ever since), 'cause he's (nearly) as loopy and demented as I am, and well. . . this is the kind of thing loopy, demented people do for amusement. :wacko:

Sure had you goin' for quite awhile, though, before you finally called us out, didn't we? ;)

• 3 weeks later...
OK, Hubert. Confession time. You're right. Of all the photo's I've taken of the underside of V11 TPS's, turns out none are open. All are sealed, exactly as you insist. I made up the bullshit (your term) about cleaning the winding and wiper contacts through the open bottom out o' thin air, just to see if anyone was paying attention 3 years ago. I got Docc to go along with the Grand Charade way back then (and ever since), 'cause he's (nearly) as loopy and demented as I am, and well. . . this is the kind of thing loopy, demented people do for amusement. :wacko:

Sure had you goin' for quite awhile, though, before you finally called us out, didn't we? ;)

Just in order to get this fixed...

Hi Stormsege,

The symptoms you describe could be related to an air leak.I had the same and have seen many posts with the same issues and the owner found either a loose/bad header connection,cracked loose pipe,or (in my case) small to very obvious cracks in the TB boots.

Hope this helps

Michael

Stupid me . . . I sure thought I saw solvent penetrating the bottom gaps in the TPS when I had it out. Now that it's back in, and the bike's running well, I don't think I'll be taking it out for a photo session.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay...mine is ribbed, not open. TPS is reset, checked thrice. Valves checked. Ignition pickup removed and cleaned. Intake rubbers are good. Motor is still backfiring 3-5K rpms...right cylinder only....with or without the PCIII. This has been progressively getting worse, starting with some occasional popping at 3-3500...now effects alot of the rpm range and makes the bike unridable. Won't idle. Thoughts? k

You've checked the balancing/synchronisation? Just for having it done. It shouldn't make the bike unrideable anyway.

Next thing: swap plugs, right to left and v/v. Do the symptoms swap also?

Visit your next mechanic, car shop will do. Let them check the compression (cold engine) and let them check the ignition with an oscilloscope (they clamp the pickups to the ignition cables).

And let the PC off the bike, just to have one unknown less.

Hubert

Yup, plugs are good...intake rubbers are good. I'll get a compression tester and do the compression next weekend. I'm out of time the week. I'm also going to get into the fuel system, change the filter, swap injectors and maybe get them checked somewhere. I'm running out of places to look, but it will probably be something simple when I find it. k

Whoa nellie! I'll check the coil wires tomorrow.

Okay, invested in a second compression tester (since my other is 600 miles away)...compression is good so no burned valve. Coil wires are good. Put in an Odyssey PC545 battery since I killed the other (I got 5 years from it, so it was time). Reset the TPS again (and it was way rich). Bike is still popping back through the right intake and blacking the plug. I think its the fuel injector on the right cylinder. I'm going to put fresh plugs in it tomorrow and give it one more go on the TPS, but if that doesn't do it, I'm going to replace that injector. k