Winnipeg-v11 help

laverda_jota

Thanks for the thorough answer Steve, appreciated, great comparison.

The more I read the more likely a Moto Guzzi is in my future vs a Ducati if it is to be a one bike family ... and it is :-) My next hurdle is the whole 'import to Canada process'. The RIV inclusion list is quite explicit and I am wondering if models like the Scura, Ballabio are considered 'children' of v11 Sports or are they there own model? I have corresponded with a Ballabio owner and his title lists the series body as Ballabio and the model as blank ... which may all be moot as this Ballabio is a 2004 which seems to be RIV compliant. I did get the VIN ... is anyone aware of Moto Guzzi friendly VIN decoder tool/app?

Nothing but questions! Thanks again.

Al

Be very carefull about which specific model you are looking at for possible import from the USA. When Moto Guzzi changed from a 170mm rear tire to a 180mm tire, there was a window of Transport Canada inadmisability as Moto Guzzi importers did not make Transport Canada aware of this tire change, so they blocked some 2003-04 models from Canada. 2005 saw the last of the Lemans with a few brought in. Now, there are at least 2 Tenni model bikes in BC, and they were never brought into Canada new, but I know that these were brought in late 02 as used bikes from the states before the RIV went strick. But, I see that older Sport 1100's are now included, wereas pre 2001 Guzzi's less than 15 yrs old were all excluded.

Study the list carefully!! Get it wrong, and they will take it away from you, and crush the bike. I've seen them do it to 2 Aprilia RS250's and a Bimota V-Due , crush them.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicle.../list/vafus.pdf

Steve

Study the list carefully!! Get it wrong, and they will take it away from you, and crush the bike. I've seen them do it to 2 Aprilia RS250's and a Bimota V-Due , crush them.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicle.../list/vafus.pdf

Steve

Stupid bureaucrats. It's not even a safety issue! Hang them all... :oldgit:

I wonder what they are actually doing?? ... because they are not answering my emails about the Ballabio, Scura, etc! Transport Canada that is. Until (if) this gets settled I am going to hold off on bidding on any Ballabio's. I still think that a Ballabio is essentially a v11 Sport sub-model.

Al

PS Steve, you mentioned the ECU hookup on the Guzzi that I would not have access to. Is the diagnostic tool unique to the Guzzi & is it a critical diagnostic component of the tune up ... that could be a deal breaker. Thx.

I wonder what they are actually doing?? ... because they are not answering my emails about the Ballabio, Scura, etc! Transport Canada that is. Until (if) this gets settled I am going to hold off on bidding on any Ballabio's. I still think that a Ballabio is essentially a v11 Sport sub-model.

Al

PS Steve, you mentioned the ECU hookup on the Guzzi that I would not have access to. Is the diagnostic tool unique to the Guzzi & is it a critical diagnostic component of the tune up ... that could be a deal breaker. Thx.

You may want to PM Greg Field, Pete Roper, or Todd Haven to confirm, but I'm pretty sure you'd need Guzzi softwared diagnostic tool to read. That said, I've had mine looked at once since I bought it new in 2001, it still runs great! Not a deal breaker in my books.

Where's your nearest Guzzi dealer?

Yes, a Ballabio and a V11 Sport, V11 Lemans, all of them are based on the 'spine frame' 6 speed format.

Steve

FWIW-My wife bought me VDST software the GuzziTech website. Few hundred dollars for software and cable to plug into your ECU. It is primariy a visual diagnostic tool for our V11 but think it can actually make adjustments on newer bikes. Anyway, most mechanical folks here and Wild Guzzi told me all you need is a volt meter to do all necessary tune up work Iam sure they are correct because most are far more mechanically talented than I am. The VDST is nice, hookup to your pc and visually see all but you still adjust everything manually.

My bike has yet to go to a shop and runs well.

Regards,

Bob

FWIW-My wife bought me VDST software the GuzziTech website. Few hundred dollars for software and cable to plug into your ECU. It is primariy a visual diagnostic tool for our V11 but think it can actually make adjustments on newer bikes. Anyway, most mechanical folks here and Wild Guzzi told me all you need is a volt meter to do all necessary tune up work Iam sure they are correct because most are far more mechanically talented than I am. The VDST is nice, hookup to your pc and visually see all but you still adjust everything manually.

My bike has yet to go to a shop and runs well.

Regards,

Bob

Bob,

Does the VDST software allow you to see and set the idle trim on your V11?

Hi Tom,

Some can correct me if I mis speak. It really is a visual display of bike. TPS,idle,etc. I believe the chip in the Norge/newer bikes can actually be adjusted via the software. I just use it to hit the numbers I have read on this board. 1050 for idel, 3.6 , tps etc . Again, was told you can do all this with a volt mete, but this is easier for a novice and my wife likes to by me toys.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Tom,

Some can correct me if I mis speak. It really is a visual display of bike. TPS,idle,etc. I believe the chip in the Norge/newer bikes can actually be adjusted via the software. I just use it to hit the numbers I have read on this board. 1050 for idel, 3.6 , tps etc . Again, was told you can do all this with a volt mete, but this is easier for a novice and my wife likes to by me toys.

Regards,

Bob

you ever get divorced and she's MINE

Hi Tom,

Regards,

Bob

Thanks Bob!

I did get the VIN ... is anyone aware of Moto Guzzi friendly VIN decoder tool/app?

Nothing but questions! Thanks again.

Al

Check the "FAQ" section, under V11 varients. There is a pretty comprehensive list of the various versions of the Sport/LeMans, and a VIN decoder. Ain't this site THE SHITT?

Also, count me in as another owner who does basically all my own maintenence. They are very easy bikes to work on, one of the reasons I bought mine. If you are at all mechanical, or not afraid of learning the simple basics, they are great bikes. And as you see, many questions get answered here, pretty darn quickly in most instances. If you want to see what happens when we have the occasional "internet tank slapper", just look at the train wreck that is the "steering dampner" thread. This, unfortunetly, is what happens when you "love too much". Oh well, beats pure apathy in my book...

• 1 month later...