Rear drive

docc

Twice now the rear drive has drizzled a little Redline out the vent. And this after just short runs of 25-30 miles and moderate to cold temperatures. The record shows an oil change just 1500 miles ago. I suppose I could have overfilled (that Redline sure holds on!), but are there other issues I should look into?

Twice now the rear drive has drizzled a little Redline out the vent. And this after just short runs of 25-30 miles and moderate to cold temperatures. The record shows an oil change just 1500 miles ago. I suppose I could have overfilled (that Redline sure holds on!), but are there other issues I should look into?

Mine does that occasionally as well, I dont think i have overfilled it, i just wipe it off and ignore it, its worked so far :P

If its weeping that probably just means its working. Thats a good thing because you wouldnt want pressure to build up in there and wear out the inner seals early. I think a good annual maintenance should include a thorough cleaning of the top rear drive vent.

I've seen this too in cool weather. Not much, just a smear around the vent. Probably something to do with it being more viscous when cold. I just clean it and forget it.

Guest ratchethack
. . .oil change just 1500 miles ago. I suppose I could have overfilled (that Redline sure holds on!) . . .

Say Docc

Just my take, but looks like you might've answered your own Q here.

As you noted, Redline Shockproof Heavy is so "clingy" (moreso than other gear lubes) that unless you've attempted to flush the old out with solvent (not recommended!), there's always considerable volume left behind after draining. Adding the full svc manual volume (0,370 liter, or ~.4 US qt), to wot's left behind = overfill = puke out excess when warm thru the breather.

Filled to the level plug with the bike on the stand should provide correct level -- always works for me. :xmas:

Filled to the level plug with the bike on the stand should provide correct level -- always works for me. :xmas:

And using that technique it is easy to check to see if you are overfilled, just let the bike sit a few hours, open the level plug, let excess drain off. After that if it still weeps, then don't worry.

I'll get her up on the stand and pull the level plug. I'm betting she gives a little fluid up.

A always, thank you all for your kind input. :sun:

And so, I've tried to get the bike fairly level and warm up the bevel drive. The drop light survived, but I owe my wife a new hair dryer.

The case temperature came up to 85 F/ 30 C and the Redline bubbled out when the level plug came out. Looks like the level was about the top of the hole, rather than the bottom. I'm looking at the fluid and guess it's 4-5 ml or about 10-15 % over full.

Ratchet's right on this: you can't just put in the specified capacity on refill. I believe the Redline products make this even more so as they are so sticky.

Now to wait for a good day to have a winter's ride and see!