Brake caliper pin removal

Mikuzzi

Raz, why did you have to change your rotor? Do they go pear shaped often (or at least bend a bit too much)?

No, it was from a previous owner using the pads down to the metal (and then some). That is a very expensive way to try and save money. My current rotor still look like new after 30.000 kms, just like the pads.

I'm trying to get a loan of a dial indicator for the test. Do you have a spec for the run-out tolerance? The only numbers I've found are the rear rotor thickness wear range (5.1 to 4.9 mm)

Ducati 996 book says max 0.3 mm runout. Not the same rotor, not even the same size but that's what I'll use as ballpark reference myself until someone tells me a better one. But if you can't feel any pulsing in the pedal, I wouldn't worry.

BTW the minimum thickness specs seem to vary so don't blindly follow the books unless you really can't find a number stamped to the rotor. My rotors had a different figure stamped than the WHB stated.

Ducati 996 book says max 0.3 mm runout. Not the same rotor, not even the same size../ /.... But if you can't feel any pulsing in the pedal, I wouldn't worry.

BTW the minimum thickness specs seem to vary so don't blindly follow the books unless you really can't find a number stamped to the rotor. My rotors had a different figure stamped than the WHB stated.

I'm measuring a variation on the rotor over the full revolution of 0.6mm (as a sanity check, I also measured the wheel rim with the same measuring setup and the side runout for the wheel was 0.15 over a full revolution - according to the manual the standard value for the wheel rim is 0.5mm).

I'm not feeling a pulse through the pedal so I might just stare hard at it and monitor for a while.

I did find the min. thickness stamped on the rotor, 4.5mm (right in front of my eyes once I knew to look!).

Thanks for your insights with this