front suspension

Bogwopit

Hi everyone,

been out on the R-M today.Got wet and cold but now feel alive again! Can't wait for slightly warmer weather then I can forget the four wheels for another glorious(?} summer.Riding again has reminded me to as a question regarding the front end handling of the v11.The front end on my R-M and 03 Le Man feel heavy and lifeless.They both have standard tyre sizes and the correct pressures.I've tried varying the damper settings including no damping at all.As it is it does n't give me much confidence when cornering, especially in the wet. Has anyone got any idea how to lighten it or is it just how it's supposed to be?

To me they both seem to be lower at the front end but this could just be a consequence of the clip-on handlebars.

many thanks,

Andy Roo.

hi Andy,

i found the best results from winding the damper fully off for round town and twisty stuff then a couple of clicks on if i'm on the motorway or long fast straight roads. if i remember rightly i have my front tyre at 34psi and the back around 37. this is on the gauge i use anyway.

i also turn the compression and rebound setting on the forks all the way anti clockwise and had them a few clicks in.

i have high bars(non clipons) on my mandello.

can't say that the front end feels heavy though

It felt great to get out on the Sport today as well! While I rode, I thought how far the bike had come with set-up. I never found the damping settings really affected things much. But, taking the time and effort to set the "sag" and get the right springs really makes all the difference. :race:

Most folks here who have tried a thinner rear tire found it made turn-in easier. Doc is spot on about getting your sag and springs correct for your weight. Lots of compression damping is a lousy substitute for stiffer springs.

If your springs and preload are correct for your weight you can always slide the forks up through the triple clamps 10mm or so to get a little quicker turn-in, but I wouldn't recommend that until you have your springs and sag dialed in.

Hi Andy

If you are feeling flush you could take your forks to Maxton near Warrington- for about £400 they will replace all the internals with top notch Maxton parts- and your ride will be much better and more comfy. They will take into account your weight and riding style when rebuilding the forks, and also fit new adjusters.

I did this with the forks on Helen's V11 (exactly the same as yours) and the transformation was amazing- and of course you then need to splash out on a new rear shock to make the back end as nice.....

Cheers

Guy

Hi Andy

If you are feeling flush you could take your forks to Maxton near Warrington- for about £400 they will replace all the internals with top notch Maxton parts- and your ride will be much better and more comfy. They will take into account your weight and riding style when rebuilding the forks, and also fit new adjusters.

I did this with the forks on Helen's V11 (exactly the same as yours) and the transformation was amazing- and of course you then need to splash out on a new rear shock to make the back end as nice.....

Cheers

Guy

Many Thanks for all the info. everyone.Most helpful.

Would you happen to have a contact no. e.t.c. for Maxtons,Guy? I think I'll go down that road; it's far easier than trying to sort things out myself.

Andy Roo.

I have the sags set, spring checked, pi pa po, nevertheless the standard Marzocchi is a slow thing. It works satisfying above 15°C minimum only. Better internals were a good option in my eyes too.

Hubert

hi Andy,

I rang Maxtons myself last week and the gentleman I spoke with said they are having a six to eight week turnaround at the moment due to the start of the racing season. He said if i could wait till after May that they could most likely get them done within the same week.

If I can get mine off in the next week then that's where mine will be heading so that I have them back intime for the Northern Ireland Guzzi meet.

hi Andy,

I rang Maxtons myself last week and the gentleman I spoke with said they are having a six to eight week turnaround at the moment due to the start of the racing season. He said if i could wait till after May that they could most likely get them done within the same week.

If I can get mine off in the next week then that's where mine will be heading so that I have them back intime for the Northern Ireland Guzzi meet.

Thanks for the info.

I'll do the same as you and get my forks to maxtons sometime in May.I'am going to get mine gold passivated first.I can't get hold of a set of Ohlins but hopefully they will look similiar.

Thanks,

Andy Roo.