convertibars

Guest callithrix

Guest callithrix

A little while ago there was a posting for Convertibars. I was wondering if anyone had given them a try,and if so how did they work out? :nerd:

Yep, I ordered it. But it is getting delayed because they are trying to tune out some vibration issues.

As you know, our bikes have some vibes up around 4-5000RPMs.

I am glad they are taking this seriously.

One of my concerns is that when the bars are extended vibration could increase.

They are busting their butts to minimize the vibration, experimenting with different geometry, materials, and weights.

I do not expect a miracle, but if they can keep vibration at or below the level of the stock sport bars, I will be happy.

A couple days ago they told me it will take about two more weeks.

If it takes longer, I may bail out and get the TwoBrothers bars, which also likely exhibit vibration issues due to the length.

If it takes longer, I may bail out and get the TwoBrothers bars, which also likely exhibit vibration issues due to the length.

David, I have the Two Bros Bars on my 00 V11 Sport and I think they are better at killing vibes than the stock clip-ons. :thumbsup: If you hunt around you can find great deals on them! :D

Mike

Guest northend

The Two Bros. may work but your kinda stuck with one setting ( not very adjustable ). And personaly I dont care for the looks of them. I did see a post from somebody on a set from germany, they were adjustable and pleasing to the eye and a plus was that the top triple clamp did not need to be removed for installation. There was a photo with the post, I'll see if I can search it out.

Anybody remember where the post is??? <_<

I'll let ya know..............Jeff H.

Guest northend

I found It!!! :D

Ck "New Handlebars", Made in Germany, Post by biesel, Page 2.

Very nice quality but not very cheap but then what is. :huh2:

They look alot heavier on the vertical support which should help

kill vibration. :grin:

Happy hunting :thumbsup: ...........Jeff H.

...btw, from the photos I've seen, and after looking at Mike's Two Brothers bars... they seemed very adjustable?? :huh2:

al

And they are! :thumbsup: They are not the best looking but look cool enough, I have seen worst! :ninja:

Mike

Guest northend

Didn't mean to insult guys. :notworthy:

The thing I didn't like about them is the fork collars have to be pretty much all

the way forward or back ( stud for risers) no adj. in between.

If im going to spend that kind of money, I want a FULL RANGE of adj. :thumbsup:

Some times I have open mouth insert foot sindrome :doh:

Later guys..............Jeff H.

• 2 weeks later...

I just cancelled my order as there is about a two week back order, and I am strapped for cash.

The good news is that they "put together a simple

assebly that will allow all customers to reinstall their stock bar-ends onto

the ConvertiBARS handlebars which keeps the vibration to stock levels."

So I may re-order in January.

Guest callithrix

I located the lead bird shot ( #9, very small ), and poured it into the upper half of the bars. Nice and heavy. In addition to the hole for the barend they have a small hole on the opposite end of the bar that I plugged with some little rubber stoppers I got from Home Depot. My friend is custom machining a pair of barends for me and my heated grips should arrive this week. I should have the set up together this weekend.

So far I've just been playiing with the position of the bars while the bike is on the factory stand . They seem to be well made and the clamp attachment system appears to be very secure when fully tightened (I know there was some concerns voiced in regards to this).

I haven't noticed a need to change any of the original lines for my needs. Although if fully extended, I suspect the 6 inches of vertical travel would probabaly neccessitate changing lines. For anyone in need of a virtually upright riding position these might be the ticket. The bars appear to offer a myriad of riding positions. The only flaw I can observe so far is that they don't allow you to pivot them on a horizontal plane. Don't know if that is pertinent as of yet.( for those with concerns for aesthetics they may appear bit incongrous with a sleek look.) I won't have chance to ascertain their real effectiveness until later. So far I'm pleased with them. I'll be sure to post my impressions when I get some miles under them. :bike:

Guest guest_motowfo

How did you mount you convertibars? With the bars towards the front of the triple tree or towards the rider? I have set mine up both ways now and I am waiting for a set of longer brake lines in order to be able to extend the bars fully in the 4:00 position (towards the rider). When I mounted them in the forward position, I was able to extend the bars within about 1" of full extension in order to clear the fairing during full lock turns.

As to the vibration. I have mounted my heavy Throttlemeister setup back on these bars (TM had all the necessary adapters to do that for ~25 bucks). The overall vibration feels about the same as the stock bars. I had thought of adding the lead shot to mine additionally, but I haven't found the vibes to be uncomfortable.

Just my .02 worth...

Richard Mathis

Franklin, TN

2002 LeMans

How did you mount you convertibars? With the bars towards the front of the triple tree or towards the rider? I have set mine up both ways now and I am waiting for a set of longer brake lines in order to be able to extend the bars fully in the 4:00 position (towards the rider). When I mounted them in the forward position, I was able to extend the bars within about 1" of full extension in order to clear the fairing during full lock turns.

As to the vibration. I have mounted my heavy Throttlemeister setup back on these bars (TM had all the necessary adapters to do that for ~25 bucks). The overall vibration feels about the same as the stock bars. I had thought of adding the lead shot to mine additionally, but I haven't found the vibes to be uncomfortable.

Just my .02 worth...

Richard Mathis

Franklin, TN

2002 LeMans

Guest callithrix

I mounted them with the clamps rotated as close to seat as possible and with the bars ~20-30 degrees off the perpindicular. I primarily wanted to reduce the stretch to the handle bars and icrease the angle of the bars from the midline of the bike. The hieght of the bars may actually be lower than stock. I know it's wierd but thats' what I find comfortable at least for around town riding. I plan on doing some long distance riding and I figure the adjustability in bar placement should become an asset. I'm not of particularly tall stature so the bike is kinda of long and roomy for me. She's my Latin lady, she's got curves, substance, personality and is sexy as hell. ^_^