Rear washer

docc

What is shown as #33 in the diagramms is not a washer. It does not have a inner diameter of 25 and it is not 1.5mm thick.

While changing from Pilot Road 2CT to BT 023 I took three photos to show how it looks on V11s especially built for the European market. Those built for this forum might look different, of course!

As it looks assembled:

rearwheel1.th.jpg

The part you guys call washer:

rearwheel2.th.jpg

And the "gap" before tightening up the axle nut:

rearwheel3.th.jpg

Hubert

Hubert,

on my V11 it looks just as in your pictures. no problem there.

But if you look on the Stein Dinse site und V11 parts lists, and click on this item number 33 it says 'washer (Scheibe Nadellager Sport1100 ie)' (needle bearing washer sport1100 ie) so it definitely is a washer (there is even a picture of it, and it doesnt look as if it should cost €5.60 :angry:) , but not all V11 bikes have it/need it apparently...

tom

Ok, that's what they call it. The dictionary says the same, basically at least. I just still have the feeling, as I'm not an English native speaker perhaps, that a washer is something you put under a nut or a bolt's head.

This part on my bike at least looks polished and hardened, so I guess it's rather what leo calls a "thrust ring" or "sealing washer". One could call down the whole thing as anal-talk, I nevertheless find two things (at least) worth to be mentioned: it's usually not a cheap 20 cents washer and, if you compare it with the pictures, the inner diameter has to be bigger than 25mm. This ring, the one shown as #33, is part of the bearing, sitting ON the inner race, not in front of it. It's not part of the swingarm or the axle. That's why I doubt that these rings are missing on certain bikes, unless the AO or often berated PO has lost it.

Cartoon-Perscheid.jpg

Hubert

The world is going to the dogs while we're discussing washers :homer:

looking at your photos more closely it would indeed appear as if that washer/ring/thingy is in the bearing rather than on top of it as it is on the sport1100. I found a thread in a sport1100 forum dealing with just this.

this would mean that they are indeed different and SD's catalogue is wrong, or am I jumping to conclusions?

I'm not a native english speaker either but I'd say the correct term for this item would be a shim, ie a thing that is used to take up play or adjust something.

enough nitpicking for today :D

Apparently "tipo" is not where the part is made. Not sure what that means "tipo: NOR." Perhaps "normale" as in "nothing special/ just a washer."

I've heard a lot of guys say they don't have them, and don't remember anyone saying they do. It's in the diagrams, but maybe there is some reason not to fit it?.

You'll have all kinds of crap without it. I wash out & regrease sometimes - i needs it. I refit using a load of grease & just clean off the excess.

NO, no. Not a 'tipo'.

A rear washer is a 'bidet'.