gaskets

rossi46

Hi

I kave had the rocker covers off quite a few times now but never changed a gasket :luigi: .Just put alight touch of grease on the gaskets so they dont tear when taking off the covers and keep re using them. Off course you must have a spare couple to clutter up the garage as well (just in case). :bier:

Hi, Is it wise to always replace the valve cover gaskets or can they be reused? Also have read that a tiny amount of silicone grease on the gaskets helps but came across this(scroll down)

http://www.harpermotoguzzi.com/faq.htm

any thoughts?

I would always use new gaskets as they won't cost much and it's good practice.

You can also find that the old ones become stuck to the engine parts they are on so you have to tear them off anyway.

Just use a smeering of clean engine oil on the gasket faces.

I never adjust valves without having spare gaskets on shelf, but I don't replace them unless they tear apart. I haven't ever experienced a leak but one out of five times the gasket sticks enough to tear.

The best gasket sealer is a product called Hylomar. It was developed for Rolls Royce for their engines. It is the best gasket gooey I have found. You can reuse gaskets many times with this stuff.

p.s. I use NO silicone sealer or silicone lubricant on gaskets. They can "creep" from underneath the parts and slide out.

Hi, Is it wise to always replace the valve cover gaskets or can they be reused? Also have read that a tiny amount of silicone grease on the gaskets helps but came across this(scroll down)

http://www.harpermotoguzzi.com/faq.htm

any thoughts?

Here's a thought: the Harper's FAQ entry is discussing the use of silicone RTV rubber on the gaskets, vs. your question about using silicone grease.

Here's another thought: why would you want to mix incompatible substances like silicone grease and motor oil? If you want to grease your gaskets [a known method of increasing the likelihood of their survival for reuse upon removal,] why not use the grease made from the rendered fat of dead dinosaurs [or, following the modern Aussie trend, yak fat? - Hiya, Pete! ;) ]

Anyway, good luck w/ that. As someone else pointed out, some folks swear by Hylomar, but the key here is to use it properly by smearing a transparently thin layer of it on the gaskets pre-assembly [ie, not glopping on so much that excess material will be squeezed out the edges when torqued down on assembly], letting it hang for awhile [to mostly cure] and then assembling.

Final results: you'll have a statistically higher chance of no seepage whatsoever w/ the hylomar treated gasket, but an increased likelihood that the gasket will be glued in place & not reusable vs. the grease pre-treat. OTOH, a little bit of extra grease in the motor oil can do no harm; little bits of RTV floating around can kill an engine if they lodge in a oil gallery & cause starvation... :luigi: