Front end attack

handtius

Damn! Sorry to hear that, Handtius. Did you get the culprit or did he do a runner?

Søren

Wouldn't totaling it kill it's value and be a major pain to bet the title clean?

This is only an issue if you plan to sell your V11. Smart Guzzisti know that since their bikes don't hold their resale value anyway, the best plan is to buy & hold, & if you want another bike, just buy it & keep the Guzzi... :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, if your bike is totalled by the insurance, you can sometimes? usually? fix it with superior forks [used GSXR forks from eBay, other aftermarket option] for less than what the ins. co. paid out & pocket the difference. You'll be the only one who knows you're riding a bike w/ a "salvage" title until you ever tried (hah!) to sell it... ;)

Besides, so far the only damage I can make out is the fender is crunched, so you'll be forced to replace that with the CF fender [which you wanted to do anyway, didn't you?] :luigi:

It was a runner. It was storming here in New York, so I didn't ride in to work, got home and she was laid out.

Wouldn't totaling it kill it's value and be a major pain to bet the title clean?

A wrong choice of words...

Skeeve.... Tell us more about GSXR forks. What year, size, etc...

It was a runner. It was storming here in New York, so I didn't ride in to work, got home and she was laid out.

A wrong choice of words...

Skeeve.... Tell us more about GSXR forks. What year, size, etc...

Most 2k and newer GSXR forks will bolt up with little more then different steering head bearings I think. You will probably want the GSXR wheel and brakes as well.

I have '03 or '04 GSXR 1000 forks (I forget which)on my Daytona. Paid less then $600 for the whole deal on fleabay. Steering head bearings for a DRZ 400 matched up the steering stem to the headstock.

Well, i just dropped the bike off at my mechanic and he's going to come up with an estimate. He said that whatever we get from the insurance, we can put towards the bike however we want. Since parts for the og are not easily attainable, I could go GSXR or any other route i see fit. Any other recommendations for a front end? Want to put handlebars on her, so that's something to consider when thinking about the triple.

question though...if you're putting a gsxr front end on, what tire did you put on the rear?

Really sorry to see what happened to your bike. If you are having your mechanic check it out, the single biggest issue is if the frame got misaligned. With the design of the V 11 this could happen from this type of impact, and may affect whether you want to make any repairs.

Our bikes are strong and tough, and I think it's likely that your frame is still straight enough to justify getting it back on the road. Just make sure the alignment is still correct.

Really sorry to see what happened to your bike. If you are having your mechanic check it out, the single biggest issue is if the frame got misaligned. With the design of the V 11 this could happen from this type of impact, and may affect whether you want to make any repairs.

Our bikes are strong and tough, and I think it's likely that your frame is still straight enough to justify getting it back on the road. Just make sure the alignment is still correct.

This is a REALLY good point. Carl Allison (among others) had a minor crash on his V11 and found that the frame can easily bend or crack. Carl documented everything very well. Here is an early thread on the subject.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9339

Not trying to scare you, but you should know so as to look for damage.

Well, i just dropped the bike off at my mechanic and he's going to come up with an estimate. He said that whatever we get from the insurance, we can put towards the bike however we want. Since parts for the og are not easily attainable, I could go GSXR or any other route i see fit. Any other recommendations for a front end? Want to put handlebars on her, so that's something to consider when thinking about the triple.

question though...if you're putting a gsxr front end on, what tire did you put on the rear?

There are companies that make handlebar conversions for GSXR forks. I got one as part of my $600 fleabay shopping spree (LSL). Check into that before you buy as not all years have the same interchangability with the top clamp.

My Daytona has a 120 front tire on the GSXR front rim and a 160 on the 18" Guzzi rear rim. The GSXR uses the same size rim as a Daytona or a V11, but it is lighter. That is a good thing. In my case the rims look different but I don't care. The V11 front wheel is much more like the GSXR front rim and while not a match is not something that most people would even notice. Paint/powder coat them the same color and you probably wouldn't know.

I use the GSXR fender, brake discs and calipers, with the stock Brembo master cylinder. I plan on getting a new Brembo master for a GSXR soon but haven't done it yet.

My GSXR forks have heavier springs then stock (different year GSXR's come with different rate fork springs) and have been re-valved by PPS. I also like the black and gold look.

Figuring out that tapered roller bearings(aftermarket) for a DRZ (I own one of them too) allow the GSXR fork stem to fit in the Guzzi frame with no mods was the key to the swap.

GSXR parts are cheap and common, and their front forks are pretty good. Probably better then the 'zokes that came on your Guzzi.

Yup, be VERY creful about the frame, Check as well that the timing chest isn't cracked where the frame bolts to it. V11's DON'T crash well.

If you're interested I'm going to be wrecking out the remains of my mate Johnny's Scura. The Ohlins have the top-caps a bit scraped up but otherwise they appear straight and good, rear shock, (Also Ohlins.) is also finme. Johnny was killed on it last year so don't buy if you are superstiscious.

Pete