steering bearing

rossi46

Hi, I need to adjust the steering bearing(probably needs regrease/replace but got MOT soon!) Have searched for info-lots of debate about torquing the top nut- anyway do I need to remove the front wheel or just raise it? thanks

Hi, I need to adjust the steering bearing(probably needs regrease/replace but got MOT soon!) Have searched for info-lots of debate about torquing the top nut- anyway do I need to remove the front wheel or just raise it? thanks

Just raise it. Part of testing if the bearings are torqued correctly is seeing if the wheel falls to one side or the other when the bars are tipped slightly off center. This requires the mass of the wheel to be in place. [since, after all, getting the torque right is about getting it tight enough to not react to slight wobblies generated by the wheel but loose enough you can still move it easily... ;)]

. . . [since, after all, getting the torque right is about getting it tight enough to not react to slight wobblies generated by the wheel but loose enough you can still move it easily... ;)]

Ah, the Goldilocks Torque Standard - juuust right!:luigi:

I did mine a while ago with a wrench bought from a bicycle shop (forgot the size). One thing is to remember to turn off completely the steering damper. I think some say it should even be disconnected.

thanks did see that but jrt says to use a knife( I assume to pry it off) then tom says that it is right hand thread :huh2:

Exactly: beauty cover is a lift (pry) off affair, & under that is a standard right-hand thread [ie, righty-tighty, lefty-loosey] nut, NOT a left-hand thread like that found on acetylene tanks, certain sound suppressors, etc.