handle bar vibration

Guest callithrix

I figured # = pound but then I couldn't correlate that with the numbers used for either bird or buckshot. I know just enough about it to prove I don't know everything about it.

Oh, and hey, on the heated grip options don't forget heated gloves . They are wonderful, keep your whole hand warm and not as bulky.

I'm guessing when you buy 25 pounds of shot you can get it in any size you want. Usually that means # (number)6, #8 or#9 (all bird shot, smaller than BBs).

The last time I tried to get buckshot the gun shop didn't carry it. It's not used to hunt buck unless you call that rowdy low-down good fer nuthin guy up the holler "Buck."

• 1 month later...

Well, while changing out the heated grips, and other Winter projects, I decided to try adding the bird shot.

Harder to find than I thought out here in enviro-friendly California :P as compared to back home in Louisiana where a gun/huntin' shop was around every corner :rolleyes:

Anyway, finally found a place that sold reloading supplies, and had bird shot in 7.5, 8, and 9, only in 25lb bags.... for about $17. So, here's a question, has anyone ever realized just how heavy a small 10inch long bag of lead shot really feels? Oh sure it says 25lbs, but I swear it was a neutron star. Amazingly deceptive.... it's all perspective I guess. Something that small shouldn't weigh that much! :lol:

Ok, well anyway, I went ahead and got some Silicone II and mixed it with the shot, and lo-and-behold used near to none of the shot, as our stock bars aren't hollow all the way to the end, plus the Throttlemeister inserts are relatively long. But I figure I got a good 3 inches of lead in there with the Silicone.... so hopefully it'll add some noticeable damping.

In any case, it was a $20 investment, and about an hour to do... so it's inexpensive "vibe insurance" for a low cost in time and money ^_^

I'm hoping that where my right hand used to go numb in 30 minutes because of my carpal tunnel sensitivity, the new "Superbike Gel Grips", and the lead shot, with the Throttlemeister "heavy" models, will offer superior damping.

al

Apparently 00 is fat shot, just small enough to make it out of the barrel  of the gun.

9 is very fine shot.

00 buck is 0.34 inch. #9 shot is 0.080 " and would be more like handling grains of sand ( awkward). Tthe 1/4 " ball I used is the equivalent of no. 4 buck (0.24") or #3 buck ( 0.25").

Jason, I couldn't figure out , what is "25#" shot?

Uh, sorry- I didn't see this until today. I had meant 25 pounds of shot. I don't recall the size #, but it was the smallest I could find- not 'grain of sand' small, but probably the #3 or #4 that you mention.

All, I like the idea of embedding the shot into a silicon matrix. Clever. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jason

Uh, sorry- I didn't see this until today.

jason,

I'm pretty impressed you've gone all the way back to November to catch up on posts! Says something about winter in Iowa. :D

All the bird shot is in the # 6 - #9 range. The largest is 'BB' which are .177".

Teh #3 an #4 is buckshot and the balls are about 1/4".

....yes, and 7.5 is darned tiny. I can't imagine working with anything much smaller.

I impressed myself though, I actually didn't make a mess. Just used a graduated cylinder to pour them into the bar end with the silicone, tamped down and mixed with a screwdriver, and then really smashed down with the "plunger" from the Throttlemeister insert. I think I only dropped about 10 of the tiny buggers through the whole process :thumbsup:

I really thought this "simple job" would turn into a multi-hour frustration-fest like most "simple" projects often do :rolleyes: .... but I just removed the whole clip-on, and lifted it off the top of the fork crown, and rotated(carefully) the bar end up vertical. I didn't even have to remove any cables or anything. It was literally a 30 minute job per end, even if you took your time.

BTW, wear gloves when you do this. I'm the last person to be uber-careful around chemicals/metals, but I ended up wearing some latex gloves for this.

Because upon just touching the shot, I got that greasy lead dust all over my hands instantly, and one small cut on my finger started to burn... and I thought.... "you know, that can't be good." <_>

Anyway, handle with care.... no need to dumb yourself down faster than nature has already got you scheduled for :P

al

I'm pretty impressed you've gone all the way back to November to catch up on posts! Says something about winter in Iowa. :D

How does the song go? boredboredboredboredboredboredbored :whistle:

This is what happens when I'm writing grant proposals. I'm trying to spend some of ya'lls hard-earned cash.

Al- Good idea to wear gloves (light latex gloves are available at beauty-supply stores). That'll keep the silicon off your fingers. Don't sweat the lead dust. Lead is very inert as an elemental solid (I would guess the stinging would be from the ammonia in the silicon). Anyhow, it'll be eliminated the next time you go to the bathroom. Now, organic-lead compounds...those are a different (nasty) beast altogether. Think tetraethyllead. It's real easy to absorb it in through the lungs and then it goes straight to fatty tissue. Did you know nerves and brain tissue are real fatty? twitch...twitch....

The easiest and cheapest fix for vibs on the early V11 is to replace the stock spin in bar end weights for the big ones available from Moto International.Without these bigger weights the vibration is actually quite bad. I have a high resistance to vibration, owning a Laverda 180 and Norton for years, but the stock setup on the V11 was real tough to take for long rides. Now it is much better, still enough to know the bike is running.

The buckshot idea I have used before on other bikes and works well, but on the V11 the bar is not hollow as far as I can tell.

I'd love to replace the stock ones with the Verlicchi ones, but can't get my mind around the price. Wow!

Ciao, Steve G.

..., but on the V11 the bar is not hollow as far as I can tell.

There is room inside the clip-on above the stock weight insert for about an ounce (28 grams) of shot. Definately makes a difference along with Superbike grips and bar-end mirrors.

Guest captain nemo

Yes, I also have the bar end weights from Moto International. They are shinny black, look great and are about $40 bucks. They do a great job.

How do the MI ends compare in size to the "heavy" Throttlemeister ends? These guys are some damn solid and heavy stainless :thumbsup:

P.S.

The photo below exaggerates the scale a bit, although the "heavy" model is quite long. However, it doesn't look out of place IMHO.

thm.jpg

Guest captain nemo

The MI ends are black and smaller. Don't know what they weigh. They seem to do the job, though. Being black, they tend to blend right in so that they don't seem noticable. A real nice mod.

Can I use ss ball bearings instead of lead shots? It is easier for me to get .25 in. bearings. It's too hard for dampening?

I don't know if hard steel versus soft lead will impact damping 'per se'(although I assume it would some), but you will lose a lot of space between the bearings versus the tiny lead #7-ish balls such that you'll have a lot less density ergo weight to work with.... which would be a disadvantage.

al