Chemicals warning - Brake Cleaner!

belfastguzzi

We know chemicals can be very nasty. If this story is true, and I don't see why not, Brake Cleaner can turn deadly nasty in the wrong circumstances. Take care.

See story HERE

Good safety tip there, Ray! Don't cross the streams and don't ignite the brake cleaner in the presence of argon.

"Mustard gas" - nasty. Same as mixing bleach with ammonia. Sure it gets the shower clean, but . . .

I am sorry the fellow is having problems, and I hope he heals up but I'm not convinced he is interpreting cause/effect correctly.

Was he taking insulin before the incident? If so, then some symptoms could be explained by a lack of appropriate medication.

And Docc- argon doesn't do anything. It's an inert gas. If there was a reaction, it would have been between the C2Cl4 and oxygen in the atmosphere.

And Dave- everything is a chemical. Even water. Even Whisky. Ok, that's a mixture of chemicals.

Perhaps, he sprayed a crapload of brake cleaner all over everything, filling the tank he was welding with gas. Heating with his torch simply vaporized the stuff and he ended up with acute tetrachloroethylene poisoning?

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mmg/mmg.asp?id=261&tid=48

pretty well describes his symptoms including neuropathy and renal/liver damage.

Phosgene poisoning is primarily pulmonary (lungs).

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/phosgene/basics/facts.asp

Still, he's right: From http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/tetrachloroethylene/working_tetra.html

"Do not use near welding operations, flames or hot surfaces because of the risk of formation of toxic hydrogen chloride or phosgene. Do not perform any welding, cutting, soldering, drilling or other hot work on an empty vessel, container or piping until all liquid and vapours have been cleared. "

I'm a doctor, but I'm a real doctor, not a medical technician. The preceding is not a diagnosis but is only a set of observations. :oldgit:

Thanks for the observation & further explanations, Jason.

It's a strangely dramatic story.

I was thinking of similar sorts of circumstances that I've been in or created and often some of us from a more carefree generation (re H&S) don't bother too much about dust, dirt and fumes.

In this case, I was thinking how I'd been using brake cleaner as a more general cleaner on parts of the bike and then when the bike is started, as yesterday, there are all sorts of lovely smells arising from the hot parts, particularly the exhaust.

There are lots of other examples, like welding galvanised steel or drilling into asbestos wall/roof panels, or just being plastered in old engine oil... but something like the use of spray solvents/chemicals is much more commonplace and liable to inappropriate or dangerous use.

Oww! Now what's squirted in my eyes!?

There are lots of other examples, like welding galvanised steel or drilling into asbestos wall/roof panels, or just being plastered in old engine oil... but something like the use of spray solvents/chemicals is much more commonplace and liable to inappropriate or dangerous use.

It is a fascinating story. The fellow hasn't lost cognitive abilities, apparently, it is written well.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of us that have been exposed to the thrill of welding galvanized and drilling asbestos. I well remember helping my dad out by cutting house shingles...day after day after week after week after summer after summer. Yep, they were asbestos. We drilled 'em for nails also. I don't like to think about that too deeply.

I find smell is a real jog to the memory as far as what I've been exposed to. Big diesel motors have a particular smell that I like for sentimental reasons.

I wonder if some of the problem with spray solvents are their mobility- or ability- to migrate into void spaces (like a gas tank). Another big issue to bear in mind is olfactory desensitization (can't smell the stuff after a while). Health and Safety offices are often considered a PITA (by me, too) but It is a good thing to be reminded of our frailties on occasion.

Oww! Now what's squirted in my eyes!?

I'm not going to touch that with....anything!