starter delay

rossi46

When I tested my theory that a bad contact/connection would cause the fuse to blow it did so in less than half a second however it all depends on how direct the wiring between battery and solenoid coils is i.e. how much current the coils will draw.

If the solenoid is energised and is able to close the main contact this immediatly removes the heavy coil from the mix and reduces the solenoid current from 40 - 50 Amp range to less than 10, at this stage the fuse shouldn't blow.

If the wiring resistance between battery and solenoid is too high it may not have sufficient power to pull in and make the main contact in which case the high current will continue (perhaps 20 - 30 Amps - my guess)

As I said if there is some mechanical reason that the solenoid is unable to pull in and close the main contact e.g. teeth that won't mesh the fuse will blow.

I doubt the solenoid coils would burn out.

I haven't had my Valeo solenoid apart but the Bosch ones come apart quite easily, just a matter of unsoldering the wires, a solder sucker or solder wick and a good hot iron or solder gun.

If you were to put your multimeter on the coil terminal to chassis and measure the Volts at start it may shed some light, my gut feeling it should be at least 10V.

You may be able to get a starter solenoid from an auto wrecker, i'm sure it's not exclusive to Guzzi

Roy