Rear Seal,How do you remove this,install new one?

mznyc

Can you just pull this seal with a pick,and install by pushing in ,or do I need a special tool?

DSCN3740.jpg

I don't think a pick would be strong enough.

Use a real seal puller and be EXTREMELY careful not to scratch the surface of the crank.

I just keep working my way around in a circle ...little bit at a time.

I happen to have the proper tool to drive a new seal in ...but if you have an assortment

of large sockets you might find one that will work.

patience.:D

andy

Can you just pull this seal with a pick,and install by pushing in ,or do I need a special tool?

Carefully place a decent screwdriver (say 8mm wide blade at the tip)under the lip of the seal so you can get behind it a little and lever on the end of the crank CAREFULLY.If you do it correctly you wont damage anything except the old seal.

I generally machine up a driver to seat the seal but you can do it with a say 10mm dia flat punch.Just dont drive the seal in to far or you will need to remove it and start again and that will damage it for sure.

Ciao

Use a real seal puller and be EXTREMELY careful not to scratch the surface of the crank.

I just keep working my way around in a circle ...little bit at a time.

I happen to have the proper tool to drive a new seal in ...but if you have an assortment

of large sockets you might find one that will work.

patience.:D

andy

Thanks Andy

I have never changed a rear seal before so I dont know the correct procedure.Didnt want to go in there hacking away doin damage.Is this the kind of "real seal puller" you mean? Link Sorry for such a stupid question,.... :blush:

Carefully place a decent screwdriver (say 8mm wide blade at the tip)under the lip of the seal so you can get behind it a little and lever on the end of the crank CAREFULLY.If you do it correctly you wont damage anything except the old seal.

I generally machine up a driver to seat the seal but you can do it with a say 10mm dia flat punch.Just dont drive the seal in to far or you will need to remove it and start again and that will damage it for sure.

Ciao

Phil,are you saying tap around the circumference of the seal with a punch,gently till it sits in?

Arent there pick specifically designed to remove seals? I may have a driver or socket that will fit it to drive in.

Thanks

Michael

Couldnt get it with cheap picks or screwdriver.Dont want to risk damaging anything.

Gonna head to Sears tomorrow to try to find a puller.Anyone have a recommendation ?

Got it out with a cheap hook style seal puller.Piece of rubber tube between crank shaft and tool to protect and out she came easy.

Michael

Make sure you clean the shaft surface with a Scotch-Brite pad and clean with BrakeKleen before reinstalling the sea.lDo use a liberal amount of grease on the seal lip surface when you reinstall................

Thanks G

New one went in easy till the last mm,when the rubber cover got caught up.Out she went.New one on order.I figured I would use motor oil as a lube,maybe freeze it first? Whaddaya think?