high rpm clutch slippage

dave

Does anyone have any experience with clutch slippage under hard acceleration above 6500 rpm? I have no evidence of a leak, and it happens only under load, such as with a passenger, heavy throttle at 80-90 mph, ect. The bike is a 2000 sport with 12k on it. It can be felt to slip as the bike comes up on cam. Besides loosing 30lbs around my middle or buying a set of wheels spun from unobtainium... any thoughts?... are the springs known to go south or plates prone to glazing? Do the little italians turning the crank inside go on strike?

Thanks for the help!

It doesn't take much oil on the disks to start slipping. I've had it happen on my bike (not the V11, another Guzzi), and I didn't know I had an oil leak until I took it apart.

Sorry,

J

It doesn't take much oil on the disks to start slipping. I've had it happen on my bike (not the V11, another Guzzi), and I didn't know I had an oil leak until I took it apart.

Sorry,

J

Thanks J. The transmission was worked on. Is it likely that the discs could have been contaminated and that it could be temporary?... or am I just wishing. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it isn't right either.

Sorry,

J

Thanks J. The transmission was worked on. Is it likely that the discs could have been contaminated and that it could be temporary?... or am I just wishing. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it isn't right either.

I'd try the mineral spirits flush. It worked on my LM 1000 when a dumbass service "technician" overfilled the transmission.

I'd try the mineral spirits flush. It worked on my LM 1000 when a dumbass service "technician" overfilled the transmission.

Can you describe your mineral spirits experience? I read somewhere about someone spraying something into the bell housing, but my recollection is as vague as this sentence. Thank you

plug the drip hole at the bottom of bell housing then pour a bunch of Mineral spirits into the timing inspection hole.. run bike and work clutch in and out. drain and hope that cleaned it off.

plug the drip hole at the bottom of bell housing then pour a bunch of Mineral spirits into the timing inspection hole.. run bike and work clutch in and out. drain and hope that cleaned it off.

The flush sounds straight forward enough. Can anyone else comment as to the choice of solvent and effectiveness? Are there any side effects of note?... will it leach into the tranny or sump? I would feel more comfortable walking off the cliff if I were part of a group.

The flush sounds straight forward enough. Can anyone else comment as to the choice of solvent and effectiveness? Are there any side effects of note?... will it leach into the tranny or sump? I would feel more comfortable walking off the cliff if I were part of a group.

no

I've read many reports of doing the clutch flush. Frankly, though it might work, it gives me the heebie-jeebies to put a low-flashpoint solvent in the bell housing (call me crazy).

If it is a one-time contamination issue, you'll probably be fine and happy with it. If you have a leaky seal, then the clutch will be re-contaminated and then you'll know you have to replace it (and a seal). I've never seen any mention that it contaminates other fluids (same as what fotoguzzi says)

And- I've never read of anyone's bike catching on fire while doing this, but again....it strikes me as weird and unnatural. But that's just me.

:oldgit:

I've read many reports of doing the clutch flush. Frankly, though it might work, it gives me the heebie-jeebies to put a low-flashpoint solvent in the bell housing (call me crazy).

If it is a one-time contamination issue, you'll probably be fine and happy with it. If you have a leaky seal, then the clutch will be re-contaminated and then you'll know you have to replace it (and a seal). I've never seen any mention that it contaminates other fluids (same as what fotoguzzi says)

And- I've never read of anyone's bike catching on fire while doing this, but again....it strikes me as weird and unnatural. But that's just me.

:oldgit:

Thanks all for the insight. Knowing that it is not just theory helps. I think I will continue to waffle for a bit longer before reconciling to either pouring in the volatile or tearing the thing apart.