shifter!

sullvarni

I've had my 02 Le Mans five years now and and It's been good to me so far,but was out for a spin and was gearing down and nothing,it went into neutral but the neutral light is not on,stuck between gears?

I managed to limp home when i found a gear,i have the foot control relocation kit bought off this site from i think his name was Ryland and has worked OK so far but when i got home i noticed the nut on the gear linkage rod had backed off,i pulled the rear shock res'ervoir and starter motor to get at the linkage and tightened everything up but It's still appears to be in neutral with no light on,would this be the pawl spring issue?

Apology,s for the long winded post any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Stu

I've had my 02 Le Mans five years now and and It's been good to me so far,but was out for a spin and was gearing down and nothing,it went into neutral but the neutral light is not on,stuck between gears?

I managed to limp home when i found a gear,i have the foot control relocation kit bought off this site from i think his name was Ryland and has worked OK so far but when i got home i noticed the nut on the gear linkage rod had backed off,i pulled the rear shock res'ervoir and starter motor to get at the linkage and tightened everything up but It's still appears to be in neutral with no light on,would this be the pawl spring issue?

Apology,s for the long winded post any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Stu

I am no expert, but I have had a PAWL spring go on me.

When mine went it felt like the linkage was not attached to anything in side the gearbox.

The lever would move from stop to stop with no clicking as the gear cams turned.

You say you were eventually able to get a gear.

Because you got some response from your lever I suggest it is not the PAWL spring.

I certainly did not and was left in 5th and that was that.

I don't know if others have experienced different.

Yup sounds like the pawl spring.

If the pawl hasn't been replaced with the updated one you may want to consider doing it while in there,The boss on the original one was believed to be incorrectly sized causing the spring to break.They're about $70.00 but may save you several hrs of labor down the road by replacing while the cover is off.Several people have reported having springs break more than once and most of them didnt replace pawl arm.2-3 hrs of my life is defiantly worth $70.

FWIW

Yup sounds like the pawl spring.

If the pawl hasn't been replaced with the updated one you may want to consider doing it while in there,The boss on the original one was believed to be incorrectly sized causing the spring to break.They're about $70.00 but may save you several hrs of labor down the road by replacing while the cover is off.Several people have reported having springs break more than once and most of them didnt replace pawl arm.2-3 hrs of my life is defiantly worth $70.

FWIW

So where do i get one of these updated Pawl springs and do i really need to replace the Pawl arm?

Thanks Stu.

Stu

You can get the spring at any dealer.MI should have it.The arm may not be in stock,and I have found if not,it can be weeks to get it.The arm isn't necessary to replace,just something you have to consider as pulling the cover is not a big deal but tedious.Ive had it off several times and now can get in there in about 20-25 mins.

Lotta good info here if you havent read it yet, http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16872&st=0

BFG's effort has helped many here on the site.

Also a list of what has to come off

Put bike in Neutral

Disconnect battery

Take off shock remote

Take off starter cover

Dump trans box fluid save it if it's recent,replace if it been more than a couple seasons

Take off connections to starter

Disconnect neutral switch

Remove starter

Disconnect gear change linkage

Remove the 11?! bolts that hold on cover,may have to tap off with a rubber mallet and yer in

Take note of the position of the selection gears there should be two indents to indicate alignment

Yours may have extra bracing that Guzzi added later,mine doesn't