Fuel pump priming

Simon

I have a 2003 LeMans and recently I have had a problem with an intermittent failure of the fuel pump priming process. It doesn't work and then after a time it decides to work. When it primes the fuel pump works and it starts fine. Are there any readers who have struck a similar problem and diagnosed the reason e.g. faulty connections/wiring.

Thanks

If the fuel pump fails to prime it's probably because the ECU is not getting power from the safety circuit.

Guzzi Wiring - Simple.pdf

There are several things it could be, the side-stand switch a dirty ignition switch or kill switch.

A friend with a LeMans found a wire broken off the ignition switch,

Using a test lamp

If you have the electric petcock you can monitor the safety circuit with a lamp connected between the fuse and chassis.

If you don't have an electric petcock pull relay 4 and wrap one lead of the test lamp around the coil pin at TP-f with the other

lead to chassis.

The side-stand switch on my bike quit a month ago, to get going I just wrapped a bare wire around the 30 & 87 pins of the middle relay.

Next time it happens flick the ignition switch a few times, it might be just a dirty contact there

This is what I am trying to say

Test Lamp Ideas.pdf

The first winter project on my V11 Sport was to add LEDs to each relay base

It lights up like a :xmas: tree

Many thanks for the advice. I am a novice at wiring but I have a work colleague who is very good so I'll discuss your diagrams with him. I'll check everything although the side stand switch was recently replaced because of a broken wire. Is a bit of CRC type lubricant in the ignition switch worthwhile aw well?

On another similar issue. Since I bought this bike I've found it does not like hot weather (Australian summer hot). It runs well enough but sometimes won't start when hot. There's a risk if it stalls in slow traffic it won't fire up again. You just have to wait it out. The dealer I bought it from suggested it was relays getting too hot. Since then I have carried several spares just in case, but I'm not convinced it is the problem.

The hot starting problem is well documented.

Suposedly it's vapour lock, the heat from the engine boils the fuel in the tubing under the tank, The pump is not able to pump vapour.

There are all sorts of ideas on insulating the piping to prevent this.

Hopefully someone can fill you in, here in the Great White North it's not an issue.

Ok no one else jumped in, heres one thread on the subject

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17321&st=0&p=185033&hl=vapor%20lock&fromsearch=1entry185033