Won't charge

alabamav11

My V11 Sport stops charging when the power wire from the regulator is connected to the battery. A few months ago it fried the 30 amp fuse ( by baking 17+ volts). I replaced the regulator and it made a steady 14.3 but now stops charging when the regulator output is connected to the battery. If the regulator output wire is not connected it makes a steady 14.3. Regulator checks out good when tested to manufacturer's instructions. Tried grounding the regulator to the negative battery post but doesn't help.

The voltage you see with the wire off might be just coming thru the components. A couple of things to check

If you unplug the alternator yellow wires and measure between them with a multimeter, about half an Ohm.

With the key ON make sure you get 12 Volts at the black wire of the black/white pair, this is the Voltage reference.

The regulator case must be well grounded to the chassis, it's better to connect it to the engine rather than running a wire all the way back to the battery.

Does your ignition/charge light stay ON?

My V11 Sport stops charging when the power wire from the regulator is connected to the battery. A few months ago it fried the 30 amp fuse ( by baking 17+ volts). I replaced the regulator and it made a steady 14.3 but now stops charging when the regulator output is connected to the battery. If the regulator output wire is not connected it makes a steady 14.3. Regulator checks out good when tested to manufacturer's instructions. Tried grounding the regulator to the negative battery post but doesn't help.

Do what KiwyRoy suggests plus removing the green funk out of your stator

stator2.jpg
stator1.jpg

Whoa - that is some Texas-green-funk there!

th'Bronze: did you just spray it with contact cleaner or what?

(BTW, when you're in that close, carefully inspect the two yellow wires leaving the stator. One is prone to breaking and very hard to see.)

• 2 weeks later...
Whoa - that is some Texas-green-funk there!

th'Bronze: did you just spray it with contact cleaner or what?

(BTW, when you're in that close, carefully inspect the two yellow wires leaving the stator. One is prone to breaking and very hard to see.)

hahahha, I pulled it all off since I had to get behind the cover.  Put it in the parts washer and it cleaned up nice.  The lead wires looked really good.