What to look for.......

Welshguzzi

Morning all,

I'm just about to take delivery of a 2002 V11 Le Mans: I'm getting it from a dealer so I don't anticipate any major problems in the short term, but would like any tips on what to look out for in the first couple of months so I can take advantage of the warranty they offer. It's only got 13000 miles on it, so barely run in....

REALLY looking forward to riding it! (Just looking out for some nice risers - see existing thrread below). My encounters with Guzzi owners so far has been very positive - slightly unhinged but friendly and helpful!

Cheers

Thanks Mznyc,

our Springs have been somewhat hit & miss for the last few years, but I remain optimistic. A truly wonderful area to ride in good weather.

I'm going over the bike thoroughly once it arrives, and will report on its' condition!

Any thoughts on risers mentioned in the thread a couple down from here? It's the only change I am planning in the short-term, but will be looking to fit X-over and Mistrals/Quills at some point, cash permitting!

It is already fitted with a Power Commander by a previous owner. Anything I need to know about this and what to do with it? I've spent the last 15 years with a Ducati 900SS bevel, so the most complex bit of electronics was the RITA ignition.....

Hugh

Hi WG, I have seen you loitering on the mgcgb forum. Congratulations on the new purchase. The first thing to check is the bike may be reading 13000 miles but that may be when the odometer decided to stop working! Maybe not  as being a 2002 it should have the white faced vague-liar which are more reliable. May you be happy for many trouble free Guzzi (s)miles.

Hi WG, I have seen you loitering on the mgcgb forum. Congratulations on the new purchase. The first thing to check is the bike may be reading 13000 miles but that may be when the odometer decided to stop working! Maybe not  as being a 2002 it should have the white faced vague-liar which are more reliable. May you be happy for many trouble free Guzzi (s)miles.

yeah, the white face veglia odometer lasts a bit longer, mine went breasts up at 19001 miles a couple years ago, although the trip meter & speedo still work fine.

apart from that, she's been trouble free, & great fun to ride...... and will always be low mileage.

welcome, WG & i hope you enjoy your '02 as much as i do mine.

steve 

Thanks Mznyc,

our Springs have been somewhat hit & miss for the last few years, but I remain optimistic. A truly wonderful area to ride in good weather.

My avatar is a wild Welsh pony I came upon on a hike near Crickhowell several years ago,on a nice crisp spring day in March!

The Vague-liar may be a problem (at least by many accounts), but not for me - if you do have White faced Veglias, my experience has been that the 60 deg drive at the transmission end is the weak (and expensive) link - the nylon worm gears don't seem to be up to it. I've got through a couple in just over 12000 miles. That is apparently the reason my bike was so low mileage when I bought it. :glare:

The part seems to be irregularly available (couldn't get hold of one at first) being a variation of the 60 deg drive at the clock end which can be adapted by cannibalising the screw adapter from the old one, but certainly not cheap, so if it goes my recommendation is:

1. save some dosh, keep your bike low mileage and guess your speed at the cameras :whistle:
  2. buy a new one (try Gutsibits), splash out on a replacement speedo cable at the same time, lube it with teflon white grease, give it as straight a run to the clock as possible, and continue to guess your speed at the cameras. :whistle:

Then again, I always carry a Gearbox Ratchet Return Spring 'just in case' like people say you should, but never needed it.

That's Guzzi's for you

Andy