FBF engine mods

Guest Joe keeling

Guest Joe keeling

Hi all forum readers, this is my first post. I am a very proud owner of a silver v11 sport cf, which I bought new when the bike was almost two years old on the showroom floor. What a great descision that has become. A prior owner of about every Japanese brand, I was looking for something with a little more character. So when I made the deal at my local bike shop, we agreed to get rid of the California emmisions garbage during the prep and install a pair of FBF Carbon cans, man they sound sweet. :whistle:

Since owning the bike it has gone through a performance metamorphisis, first instaling the high flow filter and "tweaking" the airbox, which basicaly means cutting off the snorkels off of the air box and add a PCIII. This mod resulted in a really good intake sound and performance, it noticably made the engine scream on the top end, starting around 4500 to redline. I credit the FBF map for such a noticable difference.

The bike although a demon on the top end, still had the dead spot, on the bottom end, so I installed the FBF piston kit. Today was the first day I could get the bike out of the shop do to weather, and man am I glad I did! The power delivery at the lower rev range is almost transparent now, it must be from more torque because it pulls strong even below 3000 rpm, with power on tap everywhere. I haven't dynoed the bike yet, but the 60-80 mph and the top gear roll on, has changed drastically. :thumbsup:

So I guess my point is that I have had good luck with Ferraci mods for the v11, and although reading in the forum about engine wear,etc. from higher compression, I can tell you with these performance gains, I would do it all over again. :bier:

The FBF pistons are supposed to be 11:1 compression. Have you noticed any detonation/pinging issues, especially duirng high load such as "roll on," since you installed the new pistons?

This is a concern many of us have in mind if installing the higher comp piston kits.

al

Guest Joe keeling

Dlaing

-From the ride home from the shop I didn't notice( compared to stock) much, if any of a weekness in the mid range of the power curve. I also have a buddy who tried the Stucci crossover pipe with an PCIII and a pair of Minstrals and didn't see any noticable results on his 02 LeMans.

Al

-I read my v11 sport manual and it quotes the compression of my 01 sport as 9.3:1. The motor didn't suffer any pinging or failed detonations during my 35 mile ride home yesterday. The temperature was about 58 degrees, my fuel light came on, so the high octane pump gas was old, from the last ride of the fall. I don't know if any or all of these factors helped from having any detonation problems. But from reading in the forum I, like others don't really believe that the kit makes the 1064 a true 11.1:1. This may be the biggest factor of them all. What I can tell you is that I have always ridden my bike hard, I also like to engine brake to set up my cornering speed, which is why I love the twin motor. The compression increase during acceleration and engine braking has noticably changed. It doesn't act stock, but is tuned for my "style" of riding.

I am going to get the bike dynoed soon so we can maybe apply some math to this topic. I do believe that FBF mods parts when brought together(especially the fuel map), can achieve good results. I also have a very talented bike mechanic, who along with Moto Guzzi, works on Ducatis, and is an excellent engine builder/tuner.

Guest captain nemo

I can also verify - having recently ridden a V11 with the F by F 11/1 pistons, that the response was very positive and direct with no pinging and backfire. Also on gas supplied at any filling station.

Besides undercutting my new gears and coating them (while lightening the fly wheel) - the 11/1 drop in F by F is next in line.