Spine frame oil bearing?

Steve G.

I've been detailing the bike during this rare snowfall we've been having. I'm noticing oil misting around the oil lines which connect to the frame. In my experience in owning old relics of the 2 wheeled variety, any time you plumb oil through a line from one place to another, "messy" happens. Is the oil capacity really not enough in the engine oil pan that they have to keep some up in the frame? Any ideas on stopping the misting at the mating of frame and oil lines? I've checked and they are tight.

Steve

In the old days, the crankcase breather vented to atmosphere through a filter. Nowadays, environmental concerns mean the vapors have to be recycled, so Moto Guzzi does the vapor collection in the spine and then routes it back down to the sump on the Sport models or into the valve covers on the California types, where it dribbles down the pushrod tunnels to the sump. The rubber hose used on the Sport models up to the forward underside of the spine is prone to deterioration. The banjo bolt fittings seem to mist a bit, but not much. Keeping them tight is probably enough, but you could try teflon tape at the very bottom of the threads if you're very careful not to get tag ends of the stuff out into the spine area where it might migrate down to the sump. The mesh filter should catch it if it does, but reasonable care should be exercised an any event.

The spine volume is about .35 U.S. gallons. There is one Sport 1100i in New Zealand that has the crankcase vapor recovery in a separate container with the spine having been plumbed in parallel with the gas lines to increase the fuel capacity.

I'd vote for new crush washers as well with a bit of sealant on them. Not sure what kind to use- permatex non-hardening maybe? While everything is unfastened, you could check that the mating surfaces are flat (I woudn't place bets on that one!)

Cheers,

Jason