front mudguard bolts

rossi46

Hi decided to fit a fender extender today, been riding in some serious rain recently, all was well except for those 3 stupid tiny bolts and the rubber 'captive nut' thingy that join the two halves together! having destroyed 2 of them is there a better alternative ? thanks 

Hi decided to fit a fender extender today, been riding in some serious rain recently, all was well except for those 3 stupid tiny bolts and the rubber 'captive nut' thingy that join the two halves together! having destroyed 2 of them is there a better alternative ? thanks

Know what you mean, really fiddly, but if you don't use the 'top hat', the alternative is a cracked mudguard. I used a nylon washer to protect the plastic - a bit more give. I got replacement top hats for the mudguard from Stein Dinse, pretty quick turnaround.

What fender extenda are you planning to use? I've also been looking for one to keep the crap of the engine now things have got wet here (mild and wet, kind of weird for October!) Loads of things on offer on the 'bay but for 'V11', that could just as likely be a Cali which won't do, I think.

Neat, will order one right away! Will help cut out some of the crap at least.

Not so bad over here as in Wales it seems after all, but all that wet leaf mush on the road. Gave the MX5 a few wiggles today, what with the rear drive and all, so just needs that much more concentration on the bike. Good luck!

I AM SO ANGRY. Took a look at my brand new front fender, which I installed less than six months ago, and it has cracks around two of the three holes where the two halves join. So craptastic! There is no possible chance it would be under any sort warranty, is there? Even if I bought it through a dealership?

Gonna be doing the front end swap this winter and using a GSXR fender, but I was planning on using this on another bike. This really p*sses me off.

Oh, and very nice fender extender btw.

Just taken delivery of mine and the fit is not quite as good as expected. The radius is clearly for a bike with a slimmer front tyre mudguard combination and the rebate profile curve is different from my mudguard - it will not make a snug fit. If I do fit it, it will be under strain which definitely rules out using pegs or bolts. They will crack. As you say glue's the only way here.

Jury's still out for me. Low cunning needed for a satisfactory fit.

Can't you hot-bend it?

THX for the comment, I was about to order one myself already. Crap stuck to the bike I can wash off, crap having destroyed my fender would force me to look up just another sort of therapy.

Hubert

Hot bending may help the radius, but the profile of the rebate suits a steeper curve on the tail of the mudguard, so when fitted, the raised section at the edge wants to go under the guard. It looks like that's what's happening in the pix above too. A bit of judicious cutting may be required to relieve it at those points.

My hunch is that these extenders are for V11 Cali's maybe? The V11 description is pretty generic as it turns out. In the absence of any other products this one will do but it's hardly 'plug and play'!

By the way Rossi, you were right, those captive nut top hat thingys had seized on mine so destruction is inevitable: GU93231604, not available from Gutsibits :-(

Stein Dinse have them, but at 3 quid a pop!

Send an email to HMB-Guzzi.de , he has the 93231605 (M5) in stock, for EUR 1.50 - might be he has the 93231604 also. The homepage is available in English, too. This shop generally stocks much better quality than SD ever had in their's.

Good tip Hubert, thanks.

I visit various DE Guzzi web sites - you guys are really into Guzzis, but it's hard going: wish I'd spent more time on German at school. ;-)

Between Google and the site's own English language pages I manage, but translations can get a bit weird occasionally!

:-D

If you don't mind ordering from the US, Harper's Moto has pretty much everything.