rear disc

rossi46

Hi All I'm about to order a new rear disc, the originals warped, which to go for EBC, Brembo? A wavey one would be nice but not listed for our bikes although they are for monster and other dukes anyone know if either would fit? thanks HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Is it that it pulses while applied or have you actually checked the run out with a  gauge?

Pulsing is often the result of uneven coating of pad resin and can be evened out with a bedding procedure.

docc pulsing can be felt when braking(noted on MOT), also the rear brake groans when wheeling the bike, like its rubbing in places, cleaned the caliper and bleed it, all seems good so just assumed it was the disc! don't have a gauge will use mk 1 eyeball and something to hold against the disc, what is this procedure you speak of?

Pad manufacturers generally have a recommended bedding procedure, so you could check with whomever supplied your pads.

Otherwise make sure your pads are in good shape with plenty of thickness (these rears don't start with much material to begin with, maybe 4 or 5 mm). Clean the rotor well with BrakeClean and a ScotchBrite pad or equivalent. Clean the pistons and make sure they move in and out of the caliper evenly.

Next, take the bike for a spin where you can do multiple stops without impeding traffic. (Again, you should cross reference this procedure with your pad manufacturer's recommendations): From about 60 mph/100kph make a steady brake pressure to slow the bike to about 10 mph with out coming to a full stop. Come back up to speed and allow the brake to cool and repeat five or six times each time increasing the aggression of the application slightly to end up at 80 or 90%. If the hot pad smell is excessive, lighten up on the pressure.

Then ride the bike for 15 minutes or so without applying the brakes or coming to a stop if possible. Even though you're bedding primarily the rear, it is probably good to do the fronts at the same time. They likely also need it and the stopping will be safer.

The last time I did this,  my pulsing almost completely stopped. As I recall, it was an EBC procedure.

:thumbsup: thanks docc will try this out, might have to wait awhile looks like a storm's a brewing! Have been trying to check it in the stand with various methods straight edge and aerosol with straw just as a visual reference but there is no sign of warpage- I did email EBC and they have said that MD692C disc wavey will fit if anyones interested,