Lost 3rd Gear!

walterzee

Has my "tranny" shit the bed?? So for the last couple of months I've been noticing 

that I've been missing 3rd gear every once and a while...  So I started to 

make a good solid shifts into 3rd, no problem. Thinking I was getting lazy with my shifting. 

So today I was about an hour into a three hour ride when the bike wasn't 

able to engage in 3rd gear. There was a good solid gear grinding sound when I tried.

Not a very pleasant sound.

So I managed to get home by simply shifting from second right into fourth. 

So has my Tranny bit the dust after 39k? Or has a one of the springs "let go" 

I'm guessing I'll need to pull the motor out to possibly rebuild the bastard.

Something I've never done before.  :luigi:  

Best 

Walterzee

I've been missing 3rd gear every once and a while...  So I started to 

make a good solid shifts into 3rd, no problem. 

Something I've never done before.  :luigi:  

Best 

Walterzee

ohh dear... it was trying to tell you something, never mind, hopfully you will be able to sort it through the left side engine in

• 8 months later...

hmm, my V11 Sport 2001 is quite often missing its third gear... Is that a warning of what is to come I wonder...It is within the recall range linked to over. Nothing shows up when checking the Piaggo-site, but then it states: "this service pertains all active recall campaign since 2009", and this recall is from 2003. I just bought it, was not planning on opening the gearbox just now... :glare:  

In the U.S., the transmission recall is still listed as "active" by the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) website. Not sure if the recall applies to European market bikes. Probably.

A local dealer here did the recall work on mine (9 shop hours according to Piaggio!) 11 years after it was issued in 2003. Worth doing as there were reports at the time of the rear wheel locking up at speed. Awkward.

So.....get it done.

I checked with the importer in my country, and there were no campaing/recalls on my bike covered by fabric today. However they could not say if this means that it has been done or if it out "out of date". Only "safety recalls" are active/open "forever", this was just a "recall" (!) and therefore has an end date from fabric (according to them). It is probably done, but as the consequences may be severe it is nice to be sure...With multiple previous owners that road is not so easy either. Maybe I should just fix it and take the cost my self. At least then I have gearbox I can trust and that will last many many miles.

Not wanting this thread to turn into a OIL THREAD I had the same problem years ago.

Here is what I did.

Took the gear shift lever apart cleaned and lubed.

Replaced the selector spring (the selector has to come off).

Replaced the transmission oil. I used mobil 1  75-140 Not sure of the first # but the 140 is what I use.

Still a little notch going into 3rd, but no false neutrals.

A lot of V11 shifting troubles have been sorted by fettling the foot shift lever, making sure it isn't contacting the "pork chop", changing gearoil, and bleeding the clutch fluid.

All worth trying! That said, it would be good to know the early, faulty sliding dogs have been changed in the recall. When mine played up, it wasn't just 3rd, but worst in the lowest gear changes.

• 2 weeks later...

I wont get inner peace until I am sure the recall-issue has been done. I need to know I can trust my machine. But getting a shop to do it at my own expense here sure is costly. Is it overly optimistic to believe I can do it myself? It has been 20 years since I last dismantled and put together a gearbox

As of August 2014 the recall was listed as "flexible hose", and the transmission was not named. There was some confusion at ProItalia when I asked them to search the VIN........"which hose is that?"

Then they saw that the recall budgeted 8+ hours labor. Then they realized that it was "transmission recall" after all. They did it and it didn't cost me anything. They even picked up my bike.