Resistor Covers

czakky

I cross posted this on czakky's Head Guards thread.

"I just bought a spare set of the red 90˚ Champion spark plug resistor caps on US ebay from Green Spark Plug Company LTD in UK for 13.88 USD. They are designated:

Champion Spark Plug Cap PRO5M Red "

I rather dislike posting ebay links since they die out shortly, but this one has a complete description of the actual OEM part for the early bikes with red caps, made in the UK by Champion.

FWIW - my bike still has the original cables. They were made by MTA, which I had never heard of. I did find their UK distributor, and it is an Italian company.

Don't know if this helps anybody (because I could not find a place to buy them) - but here's a picture of the original plug cap for 2002:

Funny thing - apparently MTA was a model of an actual tractor in the US in the 1950s. So when I looked up MTA spark plug wires I got sent to an antique farm and tractor supply store. It would have been even better if the tractor wires were the same as on the Guzzi.  :grin:

Oooooh, noooooo! Not the tractor thing again! :blink:

So, evidently, the Champions were only used on the RedFrames and Rosso Mandello.

Does the MTA part also contain a 5,000Ω resistor?

I don't know the resistance. I'll help if I can though. Is there a way to find out without removing the tank, then the wire, then measuring the resistance?

Old Tractor = reliable, charming, and lots of torque. Good enough for me.

Yeah, the resistor/caps unscrew from the end of the ignition wire at which point you can simply measure the resistance.

When I found one of mine had doubled in resistance, I thought it good method to replace it.

And you're keeping a couple spares in your kit?

No. I got a couple new plugs for my kit though - plan to swap them with the ones in the bike soon. Are the caps prone to fail?

Or perhaps your intent is to suggest additional insurance against a parking lot tip-over?  From what I gather, the V11's spark plugs are designed to hit the ground first so we don't scratch our plug protectors. I guess that would damage the cap too.

The plug and the resistor cap are ridiculously vulnerable to even a light tip-over. For a few bucks and very little space all of us should be carrying a spare set of plugs and spark plug caps/resistor covers.

One each for our bike and one each for our buddy's Guzzi! :luigi:

Yeah, moto fugazzi linked them in post#2. (The red NGK complete with ignition wires for 'later' V11).

I've replaced my resistor caps, but I wonder if the ignition wires themselves ought to be replaced after "so long?" :huh2: