Resistor Covers

czakky

Still original Docc?

Yah, original wires, although I repaired the right connection to the coil some years back (big improvement!)

So, gstallons, what to look for in the resistance in the ignition wires?

This is a subjective # but around 5k ohms per ft. is normal for ( as we know them ) spark plug wires . You will be looking for resistance and not infinity or open .

On a practical note, the Red caps I referenced earlier arrived today. They fit the plugs just fine, they attach to the wires the same way as the stock ones, they measure 4.8k ohms resistance, and they are about ready to be stuffed under my seat - hopefully for all eternity.

But I'm curious now, even though the answer probably won't make any difference to what I do. It's a theoretical question. If the wires have resistance, why does it matter if the caps add a little more resistance?  :huh2:

A spark plug wire this short will not give you the necessary resistance to serve it's purpose. 

This R will keep the arc time minimal to reduce wear on the center / ground electrodes on your spark plug.

@gstallons - your first response made me laugh out loud several times. :grin:

As William James (Pragmatism) might say:  Debate is futile unless a practical difference between alternatives can be demonstrated. (FYI - not a direct quote)

I imagine you had to do a little research to find the practical difference for us. Thanks.

I talked to my old electronics instructor / best friend Gerald Wells  to verify this ...after one hour of revue and lecture , you get the explanation .

We started with copper core " high tension " leads , narrow streets in Germany , burn time , then to spark plug electrode composition and so on .

Finally ordered my black caps via MG cycle. Along with a timing chain tensioner and some gaskets. Finally going to replace my gimpy broken timing cover and see if this tensioner helps my idle smooth out...

Btw Moto International has timing covers for around $95 us. They are silver but that's what BBQ paint is for.

Neighbor kid was bored so I taught him how to adjust valves on a Guzzi (valuable lesson right...) anyway threw on fresh plugs and started her up. I got a nice reminder of why I need to replace my rashed up res. covers. Didn't know 12v could get so hot! Wow!