Brake bolts

nobleswood

Guys,

After a long winter and much tinkering I got out for a good 6 hours riding today. That's the fun part.

As I was turning into my road, almost home, I heard a 'clunk' when I used the brakes. Further investigation revealed that I had lost 1 of the bolts holding a front brake caliper on!

As i said I was tinkering over the winter; must not have torqued it down correctly. Luckily nothing worse happened.

Now I need an education; the bolts are M10 x 1.25 and are stamped with a code. What does the coding mean? I'm presuming they are strengthened to resist the shear forces involved with holding the calipers on.

Another newbie question: the caliper bolts took a few applications of WD 40, waiting. Apply again. To break them free when I cleaned the calipers and pads. So should they be put back in place with Locktite, to ensure they stay in place. Or anti- seize to prevent the road crud locking everything together ?

Thanks

The 8.8 designation is roughly equivalent to the SAE Grade 5 ("medium carbon steel, quenched and tempered").

I prefer to clean the threads, apply anti-seize and use a torque wrench for these caliper mounting bolts.