• 2 weeks later...

Hey look! Is that a 120 watt Dean Markley under the tool bag?

For some reason I don't have a wife, but I do have twin 11 liter v8 cat diesels under my floor.

Could I have a Guzzi type personality?

Should I be worried?

IMG_5764_0000.jpg

• Haha 3
  • 1 year later...

Okay, okay, I know this is not a tube amp. But last week my trusted thirty-year-old Onkyo stereo amplifier overheated and shut down. The heat sink on the amps was 200ºF! I couldn't touch the top of the amp; figured "She's ded, Jim " . . . :glare: :unsure:

After a cool down, she came back on! :sun:

So, I got a US$22 "computer" fan and set it on top of the stack with some isolation "feet", custom screen attachments, and a dose of wishful thinking . . .

IMG_3052.jpg

• Like 4

Don't know if this story fits this thread but back in the early 70's when I was a kid my parents had a cobbled together stereo system. Decent turntable and speakers but the amp was a home made valve unit made by my father who was an electrician by trade. I was very familiar with it's sound because it got played quite a bit. Anyway my fathers best friend was a Flight engineer for Qantas and travelled overseas a lot so on one of his trips he bought the old man a brand new latest transistorised Sony amp. I was there for the exciting hook up and first play. Result? Disappointment from me I can remember. Gone was the soft mellow full sound replaced by some sort of tinny scratchy sound. Not sure how to explain it better than that but I've never forgotten it.

Phil

• Like 2

Admirable, those that can build their own amps!  :notworthy:  :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, I'm sad to see that PhotoBlockit has obstructed @Trevini's contributions to this thread . . .

13 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Don't know if this story fits this thread but back in the early 70's when I was a kid my parents had a cobbled together stereo system. Decent turntable and speakers but the amp was a home made valve unit made by my father who was an electrician by trade. I was very familiar with it's sound because it got played quite a bit. Anyway my fathers best friend was a Flight engineer for Qantas and travelled overseas a lot so on one of his trips he bought the old man a brand new latest transistorised Sony amp. I was there for the exciting hook up and first play. Result? Disappointment from me I can remember. Gone was the soft mellow full sound replaced by some sort of tinny scratchy sound. Not sure how to explain it better than that but I've never forgotten it.

Phil

I'm sure the first few generations of transitor amps  made very bright sound...not enjoyable to listen to at all. Your story is proof of that. Over time they have improved by leaps and bounds. I have a 35 year old Muse Model 100 that I have been very happy with as far as a warmer tone goes. I test drove a few before buying this one. It's no tube amp, but still sweet.  It continues to pump out, but who knows for how long? 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, docc said:

...stereo amplifier overheated

The fan is a good idea, but only treating symptoms, as you probably know. Have you had it open to blow out the dust yet?

• Thanks 1

I remember the first time I heard a CD and thinking gee it sounds a bit brighter than Vinyl or tape too....

Also have an Onkyo amp that I've had for nigh on 30 years as well and still working great. I did hear Onkyo's famous build quality took a nose- dive sometime after we bought our amps mate!
One of these days I'll update to a pre/power set up and have my Dali speakers serviced.....

Cheers  

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, audiomick said:

The fan is a good idea, but only treating symptoms, as you probably know. Have you had it open to blow out the dust yet?

The voice of experience! I turned the fan on high and dusted the interior of the cabinet through the top grill. Big cloud of dust!

Taking the air hose to my tube amp, next . . .

Thanks, @audiomick ! :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
On 8/25/2024 at 3:40 PM, audiomick said:

The fan extended the life of the overheated Onkyo for about a month. Long enough to source a "period" replacement.  It was pleasing that "blowing out the dust"of the replacement unit yielded no cloud! :thumbsup:

Keeping the fan on the replacement . . .

On to considering replacing the four Italian-made Jensen 10" speakers in my "reissue" tube Fender Bassman . . .

They are fine at "studio" volume, but break up driven at stage levels.

What about Celestion replacements for my blues-oriented bass playing? Or just source fresh Jensens?

IMG_7629.jpg

• Like 1
21 hours ago, docc said:

On to considering replacing the four Italian-made Jensen 10" speakers in my "reissue" tube Fender Bassman . . .

They are fine at "studio" volume, but break up driven at stage levels.

What about Celestion replacements for my blues-oriented bass playing? Or just source fresh Jensens?

I always assumed you played a 6 string electric,are you playing a bass through that Fender Bassman?

No wonder it's breaking up at stage volumes,lol :rasta:

I've forgotten most of what I knew about tube amps, but if those speakers normally have a decent reputation & you like them otherwise;perhaps consider changing your preamp tubes to something with less gain; would be cheaper & easier.

fwiw idk. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 80CX100 said:

I always assumed you played a 6 string electric,are you playing a bass through that Fender Bassman?

No wonder it's breaking up at stage volumes,lol :rasta:

I've forgotten most of what I knew about tube amps, but if those speakers normally have a decent reputation & you like them otherwise;perhaps consider changing your preamp tubes to something with less gain; would be cheaper & easier.

fwiw idk. 

Yes, Fender American Professional J-bass. Interesting solution, changing the pre-amp tubes. I had just assumed the amp's previous owner had blown up the speakers.

Any advice what pre-amp tubes to source for my application?

• Like 1

Word Salad:

What is a tube amplifier anyway? in my language, a tube is an elongated cylinder which usually carries fluids; such as liquid or gas. It is also used to contain toothpaste or glue. In London, the Tube carries passengers through tunnels. In UK, a Tube Amplifier is a valve's amplifier.

What is a valve amplifer anyway? a valve is usually a mechanical device used to close or open a passage in a pipe or duct. In a trumpet, you have valves, which are also called pistons. So you have taps and faucets in an amplifier?

In France, a Tube/Valve Amplifier is called an Amp with light bulbs (Amplificateur à lampes). Because when you turn on the Amp, they glow. Now, I get it. A light bulb is a light bulb everywhere, ins't it? well, I heard about glow plugs too, but nobody called them Glow Plug Amps as far as I know.

I wonder what they call Tube/Valve/Bulb amps in other languages???

Edited by p6x
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
16 hours ago, docc said:

Yes, Fender American Professional J-bass. Interesting solution, changing the pre-amp tubes. I had just assumed the amp's previous owner had blown up the speakers.

Any advice what pre-amp tubes to source for my application?

I'm assuming it's not an original, but a re-issue Fender Bassman; you're the 1st modern player, I've ever heard of running a bass rig through either one of them.

Tbh iirc,both were known as killer tone monster amps for both harp & guitar; relatively good tone down low & a nice crunchy meaty brown tone, when pushed hard at higher volumes,,, those tonal qualities & characteristics are working against you running a bass through them,,, IF your goal is a loud, clean sound.

No idea re the tube layout & good substitutions,,, forums like The Gear Page, Modern Blues Harmonica or TDPRI (sp?) would be good resources to check out,,, but they're not really focussed on bass info,,, maybe there are other equivalents  in the bass world,idk. 

The speakers may be shot & flabby,,,,,, but it sounds like it's doing what it's designed to do,,, 

:rasta:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1