K&N pod filters and stock exhaust

Calijackalbob

Hi guys.

Ok,so it's not a V11. It's a V940 if you like,.......

026_zpsznwsbafy.jpg

I just fitted K&N pod filters to my Bellagio, removed the airbox, ( it's getting the cafe racer treatment, going to be sporting a V7 tank and seat, so the airbox had to go)

This is the plan.......

Bellagio%20936%20CR%2002_zps1thy44cv.jpg

.......... anyway, It now sounds awesome with the K&Ns. Love the induction roar. It's a tiny bit more hesitant to start, but otherwise runs beautifully. Can't tell if it's got more power or not, but sure sounds faster.

Being concerned about the possibility of running lean and burning valves, I'm looking into getting a "Boosterplug" ...... an alternative to a Power Commander. Wondering if anyone has tried one and how it affects the running of the engine. Is it worth it? The Bellagio is, as I said, running fine with the K&Ns and stock exhaust.

As I understand it, the booster plug / power commander just gives the ECU an underestimate of the ambient temperature, thus prompting the ECU to deliver a richer fuel to air mix. 

The boosterplug is cheaper than the PC. Seems to do the same thing with less complications. Anyone used one? Any testimonials, advice for or against?

Advice appreciated. Peter.

Why not just get GuzziDiag and change the mixture settings.

I found that running pods on my V11 Sport seems to give it a flat spot at mid revs

If you can add some intake velocity stacks.

The problem with low tech / cheap fixes like that is that they can only move fueling in one direction or the other. This is seldom what you actually need, especially if you are making big changes like removing the airbox and installing pods.. The Power Commander allows you to adjust in both directions where needed. So does the GuzziDiag option, although that is not as easy as the Power Commander. GuzziDiag is very popular right now, and probably has the best capability in the end.

Running pods for looks is fine, as long as you understand that overall power and sometimes ride-ability will be reduced. It is a trade off, gain style but give up performance. Even with fueling corrected it is still going to have less performance than it could with the airbox.