What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

When you assemble (but not tighten) this axle bolt , does the wheel spin OK ? 

Why did you start working on this to begin with ? 

15 hours ago, MattiGuzzi said:

Helpful, but does not resolve my issue. The spacers shown are in place. 

So what was the "appears to be a spacer but it won't fit" turn out to be?

Phil

• Like 2

Just had a 2 week tour of France and Switzerland and the bike was running rough from 2 to 3k rpm , suspect bad tps as it was only in a limited throttle position 

got home and ordered a new PF3C from a Ducati parts supplier on eBay, much better availability and a bit cheaper from Ducati, the bike is so smooth now and hopefully sorted for a while 

Edited by Steve S
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Today , I decided to see why the fuel pump would not energize on the black frame bike .  Removed the tank to get to the + and  - wires to energize the pump . Easier said than done.  I had to remove the air filter cover to gain good access to the pump. Sidetrack . Just for the heck of it I thought I would take a look at the air filter . I pulled the air filter out of the housing along with a mouse nest complete with a field mouse running up my arm making a fast getaway !  This critter had enough junk to stop the flow completely and chewed up 1/2 of the filter .  I removed the pump and applied jumper wires from a car battery and it was locked up . Reversed the leads and still locked up . Ordered a new pump , shutoff and air filter from MG Cycle and went to NAPA for new fuel lines. 

I will never understand what possessed my to remove that filter just to see what it looked like . I do know it could have wrecked my engine if I had kept it in there and ran it like that . YUCK .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Moral of the story : if your bike sits for 6 months or more , remove the tank , examine the air filter and evict all squatters.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gstallons said:

I pulled the air filter out of the housing along with a mouse nest complete with a field mouse running up my arm. 

That's country living for you. I'll have to check on mine after a winter layoff. A mouse ate the insulation on a major wiring harness on my sister's Toyota, a couple thousand dollar repair. IDT the Italians ever cared to use soy based insulation on their wiring. I hope that is a practice that has stopped.

Edited by activpop

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, activpop said:

That's country living for you. I'll have to check on mine after a winter layoff. A mouse ate the insulation on a major wiring harness on my sister's Toyota, a couple thousand dollar repair. IDT the Italians ever cared to use soy based insulation on their wiring. I hope that is a practice that has stopped.

country livin’ indeed….  It’s nice having the wildlife, but comes with a price, like deer devouring all the plants, mice into everything, telling the missus she can only have dogs large enough to not overly tempt all the coyotes running around for an easy meal, and even when they’re getting real hungry  around mid winter.  Mice in the parts bins, thats also a hassle. 

glad you caught that Gstallons.  fwiw, mice, and then of course old fuel when they sit a long time.   i’ve just resigned myself to checking for the critters, draining the fuel and replacing it, and even oil without a lot of miles on it i’ve found i have to change because it has become “globby”.  I’m thinking it’s condensation moisture, over a long period of time, commingling with the oil and never getting burned off.  Seems like 6 months is usualy pretty safe in my situation, but more than that i worry.

Edited by Gmc28

which reminds me (the bike sitting too long topic)….

what i did to one of my V11’s today was post it on craigslist.  Just one of the three.  The Greenie.  

Love it, but really always reach for the red LeMans when it’s time to ride, and dealing with bikes that sit too much has become a bit tiresome. 

Not that i’m against having a “mini collection”, and about 49% of the time that’s what I resolve to do…. Screw it, i’m keeping them all!  But then each year I spend time fiddling with the bikes that don’t get the miles they need to stay healthy, and when i’m not doing that i’m worrying about them.  So will see if Greenie gets any interest.  I can go either way… reduce the number of under-ridden bikes in the shop, or start collecting like TomChri in Norway!

• Like 1

Having a few bikes it's actually very recomended for a pensioner's health, shoud have been on blue subscription. Winther project started july last year, why not this year to with riding weather like this, -3 not far away.  Gives me something meaningful to do since bikes always was a BIG part of life.  

Bit wet and on the chilly side here, but no thank you to 100+ in Houston.   Remember well 43c in Barcelona with up north riding gear, TERRIBLE.   :mg:  :rasta: :bier:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, gstallons said:

As in 43 deg C ? AKA 109 deg F

YES.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2

Giving the Greenie a good clean, checking electrical stuff and polishing the exhaust before the new Mistrals go on.

IMG_4852.jpg

• Like 4

Took advantage of the hot weather and put on new tires, dropped oil and installed new filter. Now I have to decide on what oil to use. That's for tomorrow.

image.png

8 minutes ago, activpop said:

Took advantage of the hot weather and put on new tires, dropped oil and installed new filter. Now I have to decide on what oil to use. That's for tomorrow.

image.png

I personally wouldn't leave the bike overnight without oil in it. I drain the oil, replace the filter ( pre charged) fill the oil and start it as soon as practicable. 

Phil

• Like 1