What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

Not today, but didn't post the discs yet.

Taken off my track Mille before I sold it, straight fit on the V11 and stops a whole lot better.

Screenshot_20240725_232213_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

My bikes that use the exact same disks, the Ducati 1000SS the Guzzi V11 Sport and the Ducati ST2 have had the following 320mm disks fitted to them over the years. Braking Wave, Galfer wave, Std Brembo original dished with round holes and later style spoke Brembo. All have stopped exactly the same road and track, no difference with the same pads and callipers.

Phil    

• Like 2

On 7/25/2024 at 11:36 PM, audiomick said:

What are they?

Brembo SSP discs, I use them for my trackbikes and now on the Guzzi as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, barely had time to ride this summer, what with mountaineering in Iceland and scuba diving in Mexico, among other things.  So, I was itching to ride and topped the Tenni's tires off and ready to go, but apparently the battery was not topped off and ready to go.  So, I decided to take Bubbles-the-parts-bike out.  I had limited time and was on a mission: Army Corps of Engineers site to pick up a National Parks annual pass and Mamie's in Martinsburg (about an hour away) for a Reuben.  I wasn't keen on taking Bubbles, because she was down for maintenance.  But I really wanted to ride a V11, and I didn't want to wait for the Tenni's battery to take a charge.

Tangent: Bubbles was in line for two maintenance items: 1) a new exhaust cross over hanger bracket and 2) a rear brake job.  As for item (1), I was too cheap to just buy a new $16 bracket because the cost of shipping was equal to the cost of the part.  So, instead I bought a $7 bar of stainless steel and fabricated one myself.  I was using a torch with canisters of MAPP gas and oxygen to heat the bar so I could make the two 90-degree bends, working on the second bend when the oxygen ran out.  Stupidly, instead of stopping and getting a new canister of oxygen (another damn $10), I tried to bend to bar before it was ready and ended up with a big radius, not a tight 90-degree bend.  So, I then had to fire up the gas forge and knock the thing into better shape on the anvil (something I had never done before and learned that it actually takes some skill).  After finally getting the bar turned into a bracket (and installed), I had used up my allotted maintenance time, so I didn't get to the brakes.

Well, I knew that the brakes needed maintenance, but I figured one more ride wouldn't catch me out.  It did.

So, I have learned a couple things: first, don't be such a cheap-ass; 2) do preventative maintenance before costly repairs; 3) break pads work better when they actually have friction material on them.

Unfortunately, I didn't appreciate these lessons until I came to a stop rather more quickly than I intended, 40 minutes from home.

Long story short, I need a new disc and pads for Bubbles.  Figure I'll put the new disc on the Tenni and move its serviceable disc to Bubbles; new brake pads around.  Not so easy to find a rear disc.  It seems they are on back order everywhere.  In addition to GU03635700, I looked for EBC MD692 and MD692C (the latter is the contour version).  I've had good luck with EBC products.  Unfortunately, they aren't so easy to find in stock either.  I did find one MD692, but would prefer the MD692C.  Does anybody know a good place to pick one up without having to wait for an uncertain many weeks?  And, preferably not have to pay $40 or $50 for delivery?

Anyway, I've missed following the forum this summer.  And I'm envious of all yinz that will be at the Spine Raid. 

Cheers,

Frey

• Like 2

Anything in cast iron on the rotor ? And make sure you service that brake caliper . It is not difficult and you will be satisfied with the job. 

• Like 1

IDK how pricey these caliper kits & pistons are for these Brembos are . Price them so you will be prepared . 

On 8/1/2024 at 5:21 PM, FreyZI said:

So, barely had time to ride this summer, what with mountaineering in Iceland and scuba diving in Mexico, among other things. 

Best opening line of a post yet here!

Sounds like the beginning of a James Bond movie....  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Ha ha, it does sound very James Bondish doesn't it...

At the other end of the spectrum, we've had the coldest /wettest 2 months of winter in 30 years here, so only 3 rides and commutes at that in 2 and a half months!

I can't even look at her as she's all wrapped up in her coat ( bike cover )....arghhh.

I'm beginning to understand the cabin fever of the northern hemisphere a bit more now.

Cheers 

Ps Spring's coming at the end o this month so fingers crossed!  

• Like 2

On 8/9/2024 at 6:56 AM, guzzler said:

Ha ha, it does sound very James Bondish doesn't it...

At the other end of the spectrum, we've had the coldest /wettest 2 months of winter in 30 years here, so only 3 rides and commutes at that in 2 and a half months!

I can't even look at her as she's all wrapped up in her coat ( bike cover )....arghhh.

I'm beginning to understand the cabin fever of the northern hemisphere a bit more now.

Cheers 

Ps Spring's coming at the end o this month so fingers crossed!  

Agreed the weather in Victoria is shite this year but it's also cold all up the east coast as well.

Phil

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

the weather in Victoria is shite this year but it's also cold all up the east coast as well.

It's August. You blokes are heading for Spring and Summer. Today I had the feeling, although it wasn't that cold, that the first signs of Autumn are showing. Far too early, actually. :wacko:

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, audiomick said:

It's August. You blokes are heading for Spring and Summer. Today I had the feeling, although it wasn't that cold, that the first signs of Autumn are showing. Far too early, actually. :wacko:

I can live with the Victorian winters if they are 3 months long but these days, like for years now the heater is running from mid April to into the end of November:( We now have 2 seasons. An 8 month winter and a 4 month summer.

PHil  

• Sad 1

You're right on the money there mate....

We've had the fire on every day since early April and reckon like last year it'll be on till Oct/Nov.....

Bugger.

Bonus though about 9.30 ish this morning it warmed up as the sun came out so after taking the wife shopping I dragged the bike out from under her coat and rode down to Langwarrin to see my Father. It's about a 200k round trip with about 70k of interesting twisties.

It was a bright sunny morning of about 8 or 9 degrees when I left with the smell of cut grass plowed fields gum trees and was that a faint hint of spring...? Bonus # 2 was I had the GOOD part of the road to myself both ways and by God did it feel good! Ha ha both the bike and I revelled in it!

Bring on Spring!!

Cheers 

• Like 3