What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

phil , if you're talking about the throttle body screws that hold the fuel injectors to the throttle body , WOW , That stuff was assembled with the understanding that it is now an assembly never to be touched. I had the fuel injectors rebuilt on both my bikes and wondered if those screws were coming out or not. No Loctite on NEW screws goin back together . I use a 1/4" stubby metric hex head from SnapOn . No Harbor Freight on something this critical .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, footgoose said:

yeah it's steel

Yep. I wouldn't use anything else. I reckon that block gets a bit of a hammering. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, audiomick said:

Yep. I wouldn't use anything else. I reckon that block gets a bit of a hammering. :)

Ha, not on my bike. I never use the back brake.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2024 at 5:29 PM, footgoose said:

I have one loose. 21.98mm width (Your photo). 14mm height. 20.50 length or depth. hole is the same all the way thru at 9.95mm

Stopped by my old man's place to look for scrap steel and found a nice piece for fabricating the "block".  20240818_123257.jpg

I could have copied dimensions exactly, but given my relatively primitive shop, I took a shortcut to avoid more grinding.  Ended up with 22 x 14 x 19 (i.e. -1.5mm).  I figured that since I rode Bubbles several thousand miles without any block, having one that's a scosche short will probably do the trick.  Anybody take issue with that assumption? :huh2:

20240818_163641.jpg

Cheers,

Frey

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FreyZI said:

Stopped by my old man's place to look for scrap steel and found a nice piece for fabricating the "block".  20240818_123257.jpg

I could have copied dimensions exactly, but given my relatively primitive shop, I took a shortcut to avoid more grinding.  Ended up with 22 x 14 x 19 (i.e. -1.5mm).  I figured that since I rode Bubbles several thousand miles without any block, having one that's a scosche short will probably do the trick.  Anybody take issue with that assumption? :huh2:

20240818_163641.jpg

Cheers,

Frey

Dimensions of the replacement? If you've ridden without one for 1500 miles then I guess you've answered your own question, lol. 

• Haha 1

Having discovered the slider missing would motivate me to inspect, carefully, the mating channel in the caliper carrier and, more especially, the shaft extension of the locator bolt. When that fastener fails/falls out, the caliper/carrier becomes a liability as it circles the wheel on the rotor and tears the brake line loose. Halfway to bad day, that. :unsure:

Perhaps worth replacing that (special) fastener if it shows any signs of damage/fatigue/deformation. :luigi:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, docc said:

When that fastener fails/falls out, the caliper/carrier becomes a liability as it circles the wheel on the rotor and tears the brake line loose. Halfway to bad day, that. :unsure:

That sounds like all the way to a bad day to me; just a a question of how bad a day.  Thanks for that, Docc.  Visual inspection pre-re-assembly was surprisingly good.

• Like 1

I did 1245 miles 17th and 18th of August 2024; That's about 2004 km. About 18 hours of riding time.

I did 1926 miles in August, plus the local errands.

August 17, 2024 MGTT stops

• Like 2

Less "to" than "with".

I went out for a ride, for the second time, with a bloke I know. 120-odd km out to the south-east of Leipzig. That is the direction in which one most quickly gets to relatively good riding territory.

Somewhere around here, I think. I'm pretty sure we went through Förstgen, for instance. Not sure, because he had the Sat-Nav and I was just following him. :huh2:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/51.19640/12.76397

Anyway...

The first time 'round, he was on his Le Mans III, so I could keep up "fairly" easily on the V11.

This time, he was on a Ducati 998. About the same age as the V11 Le Mans, but a very different beast indeed.

And he's had a lot of track time, and he's about 20 years younger than me, maybe more.

I haven't ridden that hard in years, but I think Madame Le Mans enjoyed it. B)

Edited by audiomick
  • Like 5

Long awaited footpeg lowering links arrived today.  A buddy used to ride long distances (K1100, if I remember correctly), then kids and all.  Has been telling his MC stories and talking about getting a Goldwing for at least the past six years.  Meanwhile, I've had him out for a couple rides on my R1200R while I ride the Tenni.  But, he's got some knackered knees -- he'll be popping ibuprofen and stretching his legs out in front before we get out of the neighborhood.

When I picked up Bubbles from P.O., she came with a pair of custom footpeg mounts that bolt on along with the rear subframe.  Finally got around to putting them back on (takes some work, b/c exhaust needs to move to get each bold out), and ordering some inexpensive (naturally) footpegs and mounts.

The result is foldable pegs 17 inches forward, 3 inches lower, and a bit wider.  Sitting on Bubbles in the garage felt okay, if a bit awkward with the subtle forward reach of the arms.  Little test ride now...

20240828_172921.jpg

Hoping my amigo can enjoy riding Bubbles with less discomfort until he picks up a bike.  I speculate that he will start looking for a Guzzi instead of a 'wing. :mg:

1 hour ago, FreyZI said:

Little test ride now...

Sadly, I think that was an exercise in futility.  Will let my friend check it out for his ergos (mine are uncommon for an Italian bike: 6"-5", 35" inseam).

I considered for a few minutes the idea of mounting some auxiliary lights on those stalks, instead of footpegs; however, they're probably too far aft to be much use for lighting.  If anyone has ideas befitting a rat bike aesthetic, by all means let me know.

Cheers,

Frey

On 8/28/2024 at 8:48 AM, audiomick said:

Less "to" than "with".

I went out for a ride, for the second time, with a bloke I know. 120-odd km out to the south-east of Leipzig. That is the direction in which one most quickly gets to relatively good riding territory.

Somewhere around here, I think. I'm pretty sure we went through Förstgen, for instance. Not sure, because he had the Sat-Nav and I was just following him. :huh2:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/51.19640/12.76397

Anyway...

The first time 'round, he was on his Le Mans III, so I could keep up "fairly" easily on the V11.

This time, he was on a Ducati 998. About the same age as the V11 Le Mans, but a very different beast indeed.

And he's had a lot of track time, and he's about 20 years younger than me, maybe more.

I haven't ridden that hard in years, but I think Madame Le Mans enjoyed it. B)

A good ole Italian tune up....

They work wonders for both man and machine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well after a week of wild wind (up to 100kph blasts) and rain it looked like a window of opportunity opened for a ride into the office yesterday.

So, much to my wife's concern come hell or high water I'm riding in...

Of course, the brief lull in the weather was but a ruse to fool me into thinking it'd be a lovely early spring morning ride.

Up at 4.30am togged up and riding out the driveway at 5.00am. Holy shit it's windy but also a balmy 17 degrees. Now normal folk would realise that with this much wind and such a balmy temp that trouble is brewing and indeed it was! But with only a few rides in the last 3 months I was oblivious to reason!

It was bloody windy as hell on the higher ground and the drizzle was starting (so much for the rain radars dry corridor) and after gas at the servo I was on my way again.Oh well wind and a bit of drizzle a small price to pay. Then once I'd dropped down off the higher ground Hell decided to unleash the high water and it began urinating with enough force to have some considering a second Ark! 

Jesus (no he was no help) this was getting crazy, dark, blowing a gale, very very wet and 4  lanes of heavy traffic! But actually I was grinning like a loon and loving it! The bike despite all that was going on was stable and planted and the Angel GT 11 tyres were fantastic and handled it all brilliantly.

So, by the time I got to the office at 6am I was soaked ( upper body as did put wet leggings on... just in case ha ha ) and within minutes the place looked like a laundromat. Once I had the computer up and running, I saw news that we'd had a peak wind gust of 154 kph down on the coast! Jesus ( maybe he did look out for me after all ) what a morning.

Anyways it all abated about 10 am was even sunny by the time I fired the bike up at 2.30pm for the ride home. 

Glad to report that although a bit windy but nothing like this morning I ENJOYED a little Italian tune up/ cobweb removing jaunt on the funway home...

Of course, a Shiraz by the fire was in order and somewhat well-deserved I thought.... 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Glad you enjoyed the ride, despite everything. :)

I have to say though, your working hours would have me looking for a civilised job post haste. :huh: