Suspension upgrades

czakky

Czakky - I found the Ohlins manuals to be very helpful. The same principles apply to the Marzocchis, but I like the illustrations and explanations in the Ohlins. The manuals are in the downloads section here.

I got a serious forum-provided education while I was setting up my Scura's suspension - it made such a difference that I swore it would be the first thing I do to any future motorcycle. I recall GuzziMoto said something like "setting sag correctly is the first, and most-often overlooked, step in suspension tuning." After the dramatic change in handling I experienced, just from turning some adjusters, I'm convinced. No spacers needed - it's all within reach provided you have some tools (a metric measuring tape is handy), a competent accomplice, and a way to get your wheels off the ground. It would be worth doing on your current setup just to either verify that it's in range, or to correct it and see what difference you notice.

Correct sag is about the correct springs. I got *close* with just spacers, but it ''went badly" - read: crashed.

Spacers will not take the place of the correct springs.

True, I should have mentioned that. If you can't achieve the correct sag measurements by adjusting spring pre-load, then you need different springs. I was able to get my Scura and LeMans set correctly without changing springs (although a new spring came with the new shock for the LeMans and that was selected by Hyperpro people, based on my data).

Setting / checking sag will tell you if your spring rates are correct. This applies to both the front suspension and the rear suspension. If you set the sag with you on the bike (race sag) to the correct, desired, amount of sag you can then check how much sag you have under just the weight of the bike. If the amount of sag there (free sag) is within range your springs are of the correct rate (or at least really close). If you have too little free sag when the race sag is set correctly your springs are too soft. If you have too much free sag when your race sag is set correctly your springs are too stiff.

Adding or removing preload does not change the rate, or stiffness, or straight rate springs. If your springs are too soft, adding preload will not make them stiffer. It only really changes the ride height. But setting preload / sag correctly IS the first, and most important, step in setting up your suspension.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just got my forks back from Todd @ Guzzitech. Measured my sag, it's at 30mm with 8mm of fork through the top of the clip-ons. Haven't ridden them yet as I'm waiting for some boring but necessary parts. Looks like my rear shock will be here next Wednesday from Hyperpro. I can't wait.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

After almost 1k miles I've gotten a bit more intimate with my upgraded suspension. It's a little hard to give a direct comparison to clapped out stock suspension and my completely reworked setup considering my bike sat for the winter last time I rode it. Anyway here's my honest evaluation.

Forks were reworked by Todd @ Guzzitech. They had roughly 40k miles on them with stock components only changing the fork oil once as far as I could tell. Seemingly minimal damping and a very vague feel, they sucked quite honestly. Probably worse due to mileage but either way. Reworked forks set at 8mm above triples have much more feel, more compliant and much better damping R and C. Here in the Midwest most our roads are pretty bad I can hold a line much better at a brisk pace even through a relatively rough road. That's the biggest improvement. Big bumps are the limitations of these forks not much improvement there but I'm sure a cushier setup would improve that. I'd rather lean towards sportier anyway.

My shock was also stock (Sachs) and as far as I can tell never rebuilt. Despite light greasing on both bushing ends she squeaked over every bump. Then there was the pogoing, not conducive to brisk riding. It wasn't 1980 Cb750 bad but not confidence inspiring either. So I had Klaus @ EPM performance send me a new (basic) Hyperpro shock. He talked me into a progressive spring as well. The biggest difference with the new shock is the rebound damping hands down! I honestly haven't even checked rider sag on it yet but am very happy. She soaks up big bumps better than the forks I believe but probably handles smaller bumps/potholes maybe slightly less well then my forks. If that makes sense....? I have yet to lose traction on my rear wheel under heavy throttle hand (gravel/sandy conditions omitted). I can't say that at all with my old shock.

After riding my bike with the new components I'm definitely happy. The only thing I might try different would be to just buy fork springs first before going all out with the Guzzitech treatment.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Todd knows suspension. I almost went that route but didn't have the disposable income at the time so I went and had the front and rear OEM completely overhauled by Racetech. Front springs, fluid and adjustments and total revalve,spring,oil,nitrogen etc for the Sachs. Night and day. It isn't Ohlins like the Scura but it is better for the streets than the Ohlins. All said and done I think it was 1400 with labor. A bargain for a full overhaul in my opinion.