Lucky Phil extender mod

Chuck

I occasionally have downshifts fail to engage (usually 5th to 4th) but sometimes 4th to 3rd also.  Removed, cleaned and lubed the linkage components, also adjusted to recommended angles with ample clearance of shift lever to frame.

This helped but didn't completely eliminate the issues, hoping there are more extenders available, the simple fix would be great.  If not, the behind the cover mods will go on the winter maintenance list.

Glad that you all have this figured out, I doubt if my strategy of forceful cursing would yield desired results.

• Haha 2

You NEED this on your bike . I once said "it goes from shifting like a H Farmall to a Japanese liter bike .  The stock linkage on the V11 has r.h. threads on both rod ends so you cannot adjust the shift linkage up or down . I've got some part #s for a l.h. thread rod end and rod to make a adjustable linkage !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gstallons said:

...The stock linkage on the V11 has r.h. threads on both rod ends so you cannot adjust the shift linkage up or down .

Nitpicking: you can adjust the linkage, but you have to pull one of the ends off to do it. Pain in the arse. B)

A left-hand thread on one end would be much better. Why didn't Luigi build it that way in the first place? :huh2:

11 hours ago, audiomick said:

Nitpicking: you can adjust the linkage, but you have to pull one of the ends off to do it. Pain in the arse. B)

A left-hand thread on one end would be much better. Why didn't Luigi build it that way in the first place? :huh2:

You got me ? I found it out when I was making my own linkage extender . I couldn't understand why I was turning the shaft and getting nowhere . Somewhere out in the shop I've got the part #s and the place I bought the stuff. If anyone wants it I will post it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, audiomick said:

I made the same discovery moments after reinstalling post clean and lube. Had to remove a second time to adjust to proper length, assuming it to be an error in someone's parts replacement. Then found the same pn on each ball joint in the parts catalog. Is there such a thing as the Guzzi wtf shrug:)

27 minutes ago, MotoKnee said:

so much to learn...

Yep. The first thing to learn is that "it ain't a Honda." :helmet: It *is* a kool machine, though, and worth the trouble to learn about it. :mg: :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Yep. The first thing to learn is that "it ain't a Honda." :helmet: It *is* a kool machine, though, and worth the trouble to learn about it. :mg: :lol:

Cool indeed, maybe the coolest of all. Learning is half the fun, especially when the quality of info is as high as what is offered here:thumbsup:

After many years of owning and enjoying several flavors of Honda VFRs, it feels safe to say "they all have their problems":lol:

• Like 2

Hoo wee.. I had the VFR's younger 600cc brother with it's top end oil delivery issue. Fun machine though, once sorted out.

On 8/6/2024 at 11:05 AM, gstallons said:

You NEED this on your bike . I once said "it goes from shifting like a H Farmall to a Japanese liter bike .

You are correct, sir. I wasn't sure it was needed, but it was.  Works as well as described, I'm continually impressed by what a bunch of handy and generous fellows hang out here.

A big thank you to Chuck and Lucky Phil and everyone involved for providing this upgrade to some random stranger on the internet.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 7:31 AM, gstallons said:

Midwest Control Products

This is the place I got the l.h. thread rod end an the rod to complete my project . 

@gstallons what are the pn's? much appreciated!

I looked for the invoice and couldn't find it .  Just go through the catalog and find rod ends w/6mm l.h. thread and then look for threaded rod that has opposing threads . You will cut the rod about the same length as the factory rod. 

If I can find the invoice I will come back and post part #s

Edited by gstallons
spelling error
  • Like 1

Well , I found the invoice : 

DMCS-6 ball joint DIN metric

DNTFL-6 rod end teflon race narrow housing 

TR6-150 rod , threaded M6X1.0

DMCSL-6 ball joint FIN metric

I just bought what i thought I was going to need and then used what I wanted after I got everything here . Just punch in the part #s until you find what you want .  You can reuse your r.h. thread rod end if you want to save a couple of dollars. 

This invoice is from 08-2011 so I hope these part #s will be good .  

HTH , gene

• Thanks 2