Blown valvecover gasket

Walterg

When I got to work this morning I discovered the righthand valvecover gasket was leaking. At the moment there is enough oil in the pan but I'm not sure if I should ride it home for repairs. It's about 23 km (14 miles).

What do you think ?

20160930_085828-0000.jpg

Check the oil level and ride it home . Your boot & maybe your pant leg will be soaked . When you get home , remove the valve cover and you might find the wrong gasket on the valve cover . Silicone gaskets are available or if you can't wait , use a gasket eliminator  .

Thanks for your prompt reply gstallons.

I cleaned everything this morning and I will check the oil later today. If the level is somewhere above mid-dipstick I'll carefully ride it home. I intend to replace the gasket with a new one.

Hopefully, Walterg is home now . . .

On the South'n Spine Raid, the 1200 Sport start dripping from the left valve cover. In my (dubious) wisdom, I cinched it down but actually just pushed the gasket inside the valve cover. The only motor I've seen leak oil like that had a hole in the oil pan. :blush:  We were really impressed just how much oil a big block Guzzi pumps up onto the rockers!

Several of us ought to swing by Walterg's and give him a hand! :grin:

Spine%20gasket_zpsasbc8z4k.jpg

Hey I made it home without any issues ! Of course the right side of the bike and my boot were completely covered in oil when I got home but ther was still enough oil in the pan. I probably could use a helping hand fixing the gaskets so I'll go down and get some more beer.

• Like 1