LED turn signal conversion problem

Don Macleay

My '04 has clear signal lenses and the following is the combo I settled on. I have used these for about two years now - no problems. In addition to the side LEDS which use the OEM reflector, the bulbs have a projector lens on the ends which focus the light straight behind you.

https://www.amazon.com/iBrightstar-Newest-Extremely-Bright-replacement/dp/B07BXNMNRF/ref=sr_1_22?crid=NJN75N30DW71&keywords=ibrightstar&qid=1658273217&sprefix=ibrightstar%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-22

Screen%20Shot%202022-07-19%20at%204.30.2

And this flasher unit - adjustable blink rateĀ  -also works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Flasher-Electronic-Signal-Adjustable/dp/B091PXFXFD/ref=sr_1_23?crid=1603YA1WSJQ6M&keywords=led+flasher+unit&qid=1658273542&s=automotive&sprefix=led+flasher+unit%2Cautomotive%2C147&sr=1-23

Screen%20Shot%202022-07-19%20at%204.32.5

It even has the tab to fit in the OEM location.

IMG_3287.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, confirmed that the late V11 with the separate left and right signal indicator lights in the "dash" panel will function with LED turn signal units both front and rear?

Special flasher to adjust the rate of the flashing?

Yes, all works perfectly fine. The blink rate is adjustable to personal preference or legal requirements.

EDIT: I see that the picture of the latest bulb shows no projector lens - no idea if that affects the brightness.

• Like 2

Greenie came with led signals. When going thru the bike, lot's of extra wiring and resistors. All that gone and working fine with the cheap orange flasher, bet mine is the same as po18guy. Using the same flasher on Rosso Corsa with led bulbs.
Cheers Tom. d06feaa19dc39bd77199b46b7f51a5ce.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A525F via Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

So I would also like to add LED turn signals to my Greenie and after reviewing this thread carefully I think I understand what needs to be done. Many thanks to the Kiwi's here for their helpful comments;

Ā 

I found these diodes online that appear to comply with KiwRoys' solution.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/metric-bike-diode-kit-motorcycle-diode-kit?utm_campaign=400_tROAS-Pmax&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=N/A&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpa_Z3ZWahwMVyhWtBh0V2QG8EAQYASABEgJ4UvD_BwE

So I assume the wiring will be lurking in the headlight shell.

Open it up, identify the wires leading to the single dash indicator light, and install the diodes facing the correct way, into the circuit on either side of the dash lamp, from each side of turn signals. Then run a ground wire from the dash lamp to ground.

Ā 

What I am still unsure about is:

1. Will I need to replace the dash lamp with an LED lamp?

Ā 

2. Do I need to change the flasher unit?

Ā 

I guess I will soon find out! But any insights will be greatly appreciated because electrical isn't my strong suit.

Ā 

Screen Shot 2024-07-09 at 7.35.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-09 at 7.35.55 AM.png

Why don't you look at posts july 22. I prefer less wiring if possible.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

I converted my RE650 Interceptor to LED indicators and used the above mentioned orange adjustable flasher unit. All worked out just fine. No painful wiring diodes required. Might do the same to the v11.

Phil

• Like 1

Tom

Thanks,... after reading again, I see what you are saying more clearly.

Phil
Thanks.... I might as well give it a go then.

Docc

Thanks for the link dinky.

I'll order them, swap the flasher over, and with the LEDs installed, see what happens. Hey it's only electrickery right. My only concern is the feedback through the indicator bulb in the dash. Not sure if the flasher alone would solve that but I'll get diodes on hand in case they all flash.

Ā 

Cheers and thanks guys.

Ā 

• Like 1

I just see Martys' response too....Ā 

Ā 

Big thanks Marty........ and I'll be back in Auckland later this year if you want anything brought back from the U.S..... just let me know. Cheers

• Like 1

just checked that other thread Marty... I had missed that. ...very helpful, thanks

Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, DucatiGuzziIndian said:

.... and I'll be back in Auckland later this year if you want anything brought back from the U.S..... just let me know. Cheers

A kind offer. Shipping costs from USA seem to be in the arm/leg/first born category recently. I'll keep it in mind.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to complete the LED turn signal conversion with the help of the great advice from you guys.... many thanks.

I tidied up the rear end at the same time because I never really liked the stock rear fender.

I have attached photos and the parts I used.

The diode advice was invaluable and although it was a little fiddly to do, it was pretty simple in the end. I am not an electrical whizz that is for sure, but I was able to figure it out. The diodes specified earlier in this thread worked perfectly. They needed to be installed inside the instrument housing.Ā 

I purchased the LED turn signal flasher unit that docc recommended above and swapped that out quickly and easily.

I purchased LED turn signals and LED brake lights from Amazon and went to a local electronics supplier for the diodes and 12v LED dash indicator lamp. I had to file the new LED dash indicator lamp outer ring a little so that it fitted into the square hole in the instrument housing where the old lamp resided. I then added some small O-rings to the outer body of the lamp to take up the free play between the LED body and the hole it fitted into. These O-rings created just enough resistance to make sure it doesn't slide around in the hole so that was a stroke of luck.

I also purchased an off the shelf fender eliminator bracket from Cyclegear (a retail motorcycle parts store). There are many different fender eliminators around and while the license plate and turn signal holders are all fairly common from one type to the next (a simple rectangle with four holes for the license plate and a two bent "L" shaped brackets with holes for the turn signal stalks), the connection to the bike under the seat cowl is the tricky bit. The item I purchased had an extension that went up above the plate and signal brackets that was around 100-120 mm high with a variety of slots in it. The slots just happened to allow use of the three fasteners (with some added spacers) under the seat, where the stock bracket connected. Another lucky coincidence. I tried to find an image of this on the Cyclegear website but they don't show it so apologies for that. I simple bent piece of aluminium plate 100mm wide x 1.5 - 2.00mm thick would work. After you form it, and drill the mounting holes, just clean it with solvent and spray it satin black.

To those who are not electrically inclined and to those that think this is a difficult task, I will say it may take some care, detailed thinking and a day of time but the brightness of the LEDs makes it worthwhile. And the cost is low; total for me was around $100 USD.

The turn signals are sequential and are so much brighter than stock. The brake lights are also a huge improvement in visibility.

I chose a second LED brake light for added visibility for two reasons; the main upper tail light is tucked up pretty high and I was concerned about how visible it would be and I also wanted a more noticeable indication of when I was braking. The lower second brake light I installed (Custom Dynamics brand) flashes a few times when activated and then stays on. This is many times more noticeable than the upper brake light I installed. I'll try to add a video to show this. This light is attached with VHB tape directly to the license plate frame.

My last task yet to be completed, is to cut a piece of black 1.5mm thick ABS plastic sheet to fit behind the license plate and extend upwards to the underside of the cowl just to keep dirt and water spray from directly hitting wires and fasteners.

At some stage I may look at shortening the aluminum blocks that the front turn signals mount to. They are the stock indicator mounts but they are a little on the long side for my liking.

Ā 

Screen Shot 2024-07-28 at 9.11.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-28 at 9.12.16 AM.png

• Like 2