oil

Guest lostmonkey

Guest lostmonkey

Hi all

I bought this bike in November on the last ridable day before the snow came. What I need to know is do I need to change the oil before I take it out for the first time this sping? The shop i bought it from had already winterized it before I bought it. This is my first spring with a cycle and will be my first summer too. I started riding in the fall of last year.

Joe-Lost Monkey

It depends on how long the bike sat, but no.... I'd say that merely over the Winter(since November), you don't HAVE to change the fluids. Most modern fluids, even gas, are relatively stable for quite a while... especially if you "Winterized" it.

Now that being said, it's never a bad thing to go ahead and give it some fresh oil and gas ^_^

I would... might as well as part of your overall pre-riding inspection for Spring :D

al

You should have changed the oil just before you parked it for the winter. The acidic contaminants of combustion in used oil really do their business on engine bearing material during long times of inactivity.

If you changed the oil just as you parked it for the winter, it will be fine, just run it.

Ciao, Steve G.