New Guzzi owner dumb question of the day

Mr. Bean

I'll try looking into the tank with a mirror and flashlight tonight and see what I can find out about where the pickups are.

I'm also scheduled to drop the bike off at Moto International for it's first service tomorrow...hopefully I'll get a chance to talk with those guys about all this stuff and see what they know.

Randy

Ok,

I looked over the bike this afternoon. It does have a loop system for the fuel supply. I'm not sure whether the red or white connector is the supply or return but a hose leaves the red connector and forms a full loop first past the right side injector, passes down under the tank behind the engine and loops up past the left injector and back between the tank and engine to connect to the white connector. Each fuel injector is on a Y off of the loop. There is no visible fuel filters anywhere on this loop so it must be inside the tank??? :huh2:

As far as looking inside the tank...couldn't see anything really..it's full right now.

Let me know if you want me to take any pics of any of this to post here.

Randy

Ok,

I looked over the bike this afternoon. It does have a loop system for the fuel supply. I'm not sure whether the red or white connector is the supply or return but a hose leaves the red connector and forms a full loop first past the right side injector, passes down under the tank behind the engine and loops up past the left injector and back between the tank and engine to connect to the white connector. Each fuel injector is on a Y off of the loop. There is no visible fuel filters anywhere on this loop so it must be inside the tank??? :huh2:

As far as looking inside the tank...couldn't see anything really..it's full right now.

Let me know if you want me to take any pics of any of this to post here.

Randy

Ok, well this makes more sense. This is exactly how the earlier bikes are plumbed, a "tee" on each injector body, and a loop of line connecting them to and from the tank/pump. The only difference except of course is that there is an external fuel-pump/filter at one end prior to the injectors, and a fuel return/pressure-regulator at the other end on the older bikes like mine(2002 and earlier).

It seems obvious that on the in-tank models there is an internal/integral fuel pump, filter, and pressure-regulator inside there, as the only lines are high pressure side lines for the EFI. Now how it's all serviced? I have no idea :rolleyes:

But from the photo, it looks like the whole in-tank assembly is a cartridge that is held in the bottom of the tank with a few bolts. If you are as adventurous as I, just take it apart ;) I bet there's a filter cartridge of some sort up in there.

I would, just for the sake of wondering how it comes apart :D

But that's just me ^_^

Still hoping someone that has run their 2003+ bike down to "reserve" can report on how well, if at all, these newer bikes handle getting to that 1.5ish gallons of fuel. Does the light just come on, and it's "no drama" where the bike just keeps sucking that last 1.5 gallons? ...or is there something the operator must do to make the bike start getting to that "reserve". For example, on my FJ, there was a switch you had to flip once you hit empty. And of course as previously mentioned, on the 2002 and earlier bikes, one has to YANK the bike over to the left HARD to slosh that "reserve" over :wacko:

Thanks for the info! B)

al

• 1 year later...

I agree that the quick disconnects look rather flimsy...any ideas on how to correctly disconnect them?  I don't want to break them by doing something wrong.  Does the grey part slide backward releasing the hose forward?

18897[/snapback]

Do we have an answer, before I break mine off and therefore miss the Welsh Waltz or I will leave well alone and attend with a dirty air filter

:!: :luigi: bodger at work :!: It's been while and a few miles since its last dealer service, so I thought I should give her one :) So armed with lucky gaskets to ensure the originals are reuseable I've started.

Martin,

They are kind of fiddly but on mine, I found that if I push the hoses TOWARD the tank connectors while simultaneously pushing the grey ring AWAY from the connector (toward the hose or front of the bike), the ring will move a fraction of an inch. Once it does this you can continue to apply pressure on the ring while reversing pressure on the hose and the hose *should* slide off the connector. It sounds weirder than it is. Once it works for you it will make sense from then on. I've done it a couple times since then and it has worked fine. The connectors themselves actually seem fairly sturdy once the hoses were off and I could look at them. If done right though, you will really not be applying any pressure to the connectors at all...just the grey ring and the hoses. Do plan on gas leaking out of the connectors though if your tank is over half full.

Randy

Or maybe as the mechanic Mik spoke to, there is some special pickup/fuel-return that more evenly distributes and picks up the fuel in the new tanks?  :huh2:

al

18968[/snapback]

Well, if the pump assembly just blurts out the excess fuel when the line pressure is sufficient back into the same side of the tank it's on, then that takes care of the return line, as well as part of the fuel getting trapped on one side of the tank [since the fuel pump will no longer be actively transporting fuel from the left reservoir to the right side, no matter that you just sloshed fuel over into that side in order to make headway... :doh: ]

As far as resolving the fuel isolation problem in its entirety*, what's the chance of making a siphon out of a small piece of copper tube, sliding it down thru the filler neck and using some sort of epoxy to hold it in place straddling the "hump?" Yes, obviously you'd have to fill it with gas first, and have some way of removing any stoppers once in situ for it to work. And yes, it'll only keep working as long as you don't run completely out of gas or not get so low on fuel & leaned over that the ends get uncovered.

On a related note, does anyone know what glues are safe & effective to use with the Guzzi nylon tanks? I'm thinking that the judicious application of some well-chromed steel (or stainless alloys that are magnetic) pads in appropriate locations would negate the need to recreate the entire tank out of steel in order to use magnetic tankbags... :luigi::grin::thumbsup:

Ride on!

:bike:

* Obviously, this would only return maybe 1gal out of the 1.5gal of "phantom reserve" that the owners with "dual line" tanks have observed. So, it's a partial "entirety." :D

Well, if the pump assembly just  blurts out the excess fuel when the line pressure is sufficient back into the same side of the tank it's on, then that takes care of the return line, as well as part of the fuel getting trapped on one side of the tank [since the fuel pump will no longer be actively transporting fuel from the left reservoir to the right side, no matter that you just sloshed fuel over into that side in order to make headway...  :doh: ]

As far as resolving the fuel isolation problem in its entirety*, what's the chance of making a siphon out of a small piece of copper tube, sliding it down thru the filler neck and using some sort of epoxy to hold it in place straddling the "hump?" Yes, obviously you'd have to fill it with gas first, and have some way of removing any stoppers once in situ for it to work. And yes, it'll only keep working as long as you don't run completely out of gas or not get so low on fuel & leaned over that the ends get uncovered.

On a related note, does anyone know what glues are safe & effective to use with the Guzzi nylon tanks? I'm thinking that the judicious application of some well-chromed steel (or stainless alloys that are magnetic) pads in appropriate locations would negate the need to recreate the entire tank out of steel in order to use magnetic tankbags...  :luigi::grin:  :thumbsup:

Ride on!

:bike:

*  Obviously, this would only return maybe 1gal out of the 1.5gal of "phantom reserve" that the owners with "dual line" tanks have observed. So, it's a partial "entirety."  :D

59959[/snapback]

I have never found this to be an issue with my 2002 tank. The manual states the fuel capacity as about 20.7 litres. The most I have put in my tank is 21.67 litres then another big fill of 21.2 litres. My fuel light has not worked since new. I rely entirely on my trip-meter. 186 miles is the furthest I have travelled on one tank. You know when it is time to refuel once it starts sucking air and misses and coughs..... Always had just enough left to make it to a gas station though.

Rob