Ohlins Shock Preload Adjuster Location

For those that install the aftermarket Ohlins shock with remote preload adjuster, it comes with a bracket and instructions for installing the knob under the exhaust hanger/passenger-peg-bracket.

I initially installed mine as directed, but it required the mounting bracket to be placed sandwiched between the exhaust-hanger and the rear-subframe to which it normally mounts as stock.

I didn't like this arrangement for two reasons:

1) It increased/created an uneven exhaust offset, by kicking out the exhaust mount

2) It looked a bit "kludgey"

3) In the recommended location(rear hole) of the bracket, the knob was very visible, and seemed quite exposed to potential damage. ....and it was a little too much "bling" for my tastes :rolleyes:

So, I instead installed it BEHIND the exhaust hanger, and via the front fastener.

However due to the uneven surface on the back of the bracket on the subframe, and the need to slightly increase the spacing to clear the adjustment knob, I had to use a new 4.5cm bolt, and use a ~1/8" spacer/washer in between the Ohlins bracket and the subframe.

This isn't the best photo, but it gives you the general idea. I can take one or two more if necessary for clarification.

IMHO, it looks much better in this slightly modified location, and is more protected. A caveat, it *is* just a bit more difficult to adjust, especially if you have thick fingers as I do, but it's very doable, especially if it's not something you adjust every day... and I don't ^_^

Anyway, it's just an alternative option for those that install this model shock :)

al

ohlins_adjuster.jpg

Al,

I put that thing under the scew, on the gearboxtop, where the seat lock sits. Your bracket looks clean, but it is a stange location for the thing. Will get dirty.

Why else not under the seat, must be some space left there?

Good thoughts. I had looked around but didn't really see somwhere else that was a good fit. I'll look at the two locations you mention.

As far as getting dirty, you are right, but it's where they specify putting it and where I see it on other bikes .... so I guess it holds up :huh2:

al

Guest dkgross

I'd actually like to see a few more photos, as well as what you had to do differently to your bike to put Ohlins on the front as well.

According to the Ohlins website..they don't make front shocks for an '02 V11..although they have new springs for replacement.

time for a little suspension education for me. Free free, oh wise one :)

I'd actually like to see a few more photos, as well as what you had to do differently to your bike to put Ohlins on the front as well. 

According to the Ohlins website..they don't make front shocks for an '02 V11..although they have new springs for replacement.

time for a little suspension education for me.  Free free, oh wise one :)

They make R&T forks for all V11s but the forks are sold exclusively through Moto Guzzi.

Or out of the trunk of a Fiat on a 40°C hot parking lot in Padova...  ^_^

...heh heh ;) So that's where we got our forks :unsure: Paolo emailed me that had a rear shock available the other day.

Sounds almost like "gun running" or something :rolleyes:

In regard to what forks will fit the V11, a variety of Ducati forks, both Showa and Ohlins will fit.... and others that may just coincidentally be the correct dimensions. But yes, Ohlins doesn't currently sell any R&T direct bolt-ons for the V11. One has to buy a pair of the forks that Guzzi sources for the Cafe Sport, etc.

The LeMans(bikes with clip ons above the tree) forks are a bit longer than the earlier models, but the other dimensions are equivalent.

Without going into detail here, check out the:

Hollow Axle Thread

...where we discussed various forks that fit, their dimensions, and what modifications such as new axles and bearings must be fitted.

But as an addendum, it seems from some photos that the new Marz(and certainly the Ohlins) forks may already have the larger hollow axle, and if so, one probably would not need to change out to the larger bearings, and modified spacer.

I'll try to remember to get a couple more photos of the rear preload adjustment mount tonight.

al

as well as what you had to do differently to your bike to put Ohlins on the front as well

there is an extensive tread about that called "hollow front axle"

In short almost nothing!,If you have the forks we have. If you buy aftermarket for soem other bike, you will have to get new or modified triple clamps. What makes it more expensive.

Some more photos, as requested.... keep in mind that this is not dramatically different from the standard location for which the kit is designed. The only difference is moving it a bit forward by mounting it on the front bolt location.

back.jpg

Guest dkgross

wow. great photos, and an amazing amount of work. dare I ask how much $$ you've got invested in the suspension makeover?

hell..if I really want to do it that badly, it might be cheaper to just trade my 02 Lemans for the Rosso sitting on the showroom, and just get it painted Champagne colored :)

I think I'll wait to see what new tires do for the handling :D