spare parts for road trip

Guest dkgross

Guest dkgross

thanks everyone! Of course, I'll post again when it's time to head out, and get all the appropriate contact names and numbers for everyone. Looks like I can put a nice little spare parts kit together and feel safe and confidant.

went on a nice 5 hr ride today. Unusually warm (60) for Seattle this time of year. Apparantly, a great day for lots of other motorcyclists to be calling in sick as well :)

as I told my boss, I was coming down with a bad case of 'Phukinoff's Disease".

:bike:

Guest dkgross
Not sure if that's a DOT 4 or a DOT 5 clutch cable. Should not take up too much space.

fwiw...I meant to say I was going to carry and extra hydraulic clutch line, not cable.. :homer:

and a few fittings, just in case...

Hi Dave,

Yes I've been accused of going overboard on the crap I bring along. With the essentially small motorcycle a V11 is, you are forced to pare it down.

In your little tool kit area, put a couple spare spark plugs, a good quality mini flashlight, a Leatherman or Gerber multi tool, and a tubless tire repair kit [not that spray stuff in a can]. I take a litre of oil that I'm using, but put it in a squirt bottle so you don't fumble around trying to pour it in the hole, [Guzzi engines do burn oil when pushing hard in the desert] and I always take a spare key for the bike. I remember I had to take a bus and ride on a ship to go get my other key after I lost the key, the local locksmith buggered up my ignition switch trying to make a key. I had the safety guy at work put together a mini compact first aid kit, which has come in handy more than once. Once, at a motorcycle campout in the middle of nowhere, with much alcoholic embibing, a buddy I was talking to decided to pass out in front all of us, doing a face plant onto the license plate of his bike. The flashlight and tape worked a charm.

You could go on and on, depending on if you are camping, but again you are limited by space on this machine. You don't want to overload the thing.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest dkgross

thanks Steve!

I've carried a small first aid kit from RiderWarehouse (Aerostich) for years. Saved my butt a number of times.

you get the prize for reminding me of a SPARE KEY!!

Ya know..I probably should have that on me ALL the time...

:homer:

Yeah, I always take a spare key, and when on a long tour with a buddy, we exchange spare keys... just in case. Came in very handy one time in Las Vegas. I found the original key right after calling in reinforcements, but I was very glad I had that backup ^_^

My keys also have the return address, account, and phone number of my Motorcycle Towing Service on them via some pet "shrinky dink" tags :D

It's about time to make some new ones though, as the ink is finally wearing off.

al