Steering Damper of Choice, and Availability?

Kane

Handlebars looks comfy,   Something with a  Greenie, spesially with a V clean one  :thumbsup:.

Cheers Tom.

The Ohlins still work and are readily available and a competitive price these days as well. More because the other high end options are more expensive and not because Ohlins have reduced their prices.

IMG_3331.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Handlebars looks comfy,   Something with a  Greenie, spesially with a V clean one  :thumbsup:.

Cheers Tom.

Personally I think the best bar option with a V11 Sport is the later clip ons that mount on the forks above the top triple clamp. They are higher and less susceptible to magnifying engine vibration. Anything with an extended swan neck style mount such as the early V11 series bars aren't going to help mitigate engine vibes through the bars. Only issue is you would need to run fork extensions to use them or use the later longer forks.

Phil

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, audiomick said:

@ChrisPDX that's your bike that is being discussed in this topic, isn't it?

@Lucky Phil You don't happen to have a part number for the appropriate Öhlins damper, do you?

Sorry Mick I don't. The damper is generic and you purchase by the stroke length which means you can shop around. The only part that is V11 specific is the mount that clamps onto the Ohlins damper body. I didn't have one so I used a Ducabike one and made an adaptor because my bike is a bit different due to it's later triple clamps. The easiest way is to try and source a second hand V11 Sport Ohlins mount and then shop for the correct length stroke damper. 120mm stroke rings a bell from memory.

Phil

16 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Sorry Mick I don't. The damper is generic and you purchase by the stroke length which means you can shop around.

Ok, no worries. I'll have a look.

16 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

120mm stroke rings a bell from memory.

I reckon that's too long. I think I read something about 75 mm somewhere. As it happens, I have the leaky Bitubo from mine here in front of me, and measuring the free length of the shaft would seem to confirm that. :huh2:

2 hours ago, ChrisPDX said:

Hi folks:

Based on your recommendation I purchased and installed a HyperPro damper (PN KBA91326) on my 2001 Greenie after the stocker dripped its oil on my garage floor.  

Here are a few photos that show mounting details and may make things easier if you choose this unit when the time comes.  The stock mounting points are used.  The finish on the HyperPro is VERY nice and the sliding and adjustment mechanisms are super smooth.  

Of minor interest, when I bought (rescued) my bike it arrived with the Heim Joint at the lower triple clamp where the steering damper mounts sheared off.  I was able to order a higher quality replacement from McMaster Carr.  Their PN for that is 59935K43 Ball Joint Rod End M8 x 1.25mm thread, right hand.

HyperPro 1.JPG

HyperPro 2.JPG

HyperPro 3.JPG

HyperPro 4.JPG

I wasn’t having any luck on the Hyperpro site or even just Googling that part number. ☹️

16 minutes ago, ChrisPDX said:

Were you able to use the factory mount?

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

Ok, no worries. I'll have a look.

I reckon that's too long. I think I read something about 75 mm somewhere. As it happens, I have the leaky Bitubo from mine here in front of me, and measuring the free length of the shaft would seem to confirm that. :huh2:

You're right Mick I just measured my Ohlins. There's 35mm of shaft sticking out of each end. I'm pretty sure you can re seal the Bitubo dampers. Recall seeing something about it not too long ago. Mine was leaking as well. 

Phil

4 hours ago, ChrisPDX said:

Hi folks:

Based on your recommendation I purchased and installed a HyperPro damper (PN KBA91326) on my 2001 Greenie after the stocker dripped its oil on my garage floor.  In the USA I ordered from EPM Performance.  Here's the link: https://epmperformance.com/products/75mm-rsc-progressive-steering-damper-ds-075-np1-v11-sport-1999-2005

Here are a few photos that show mounting details and may make things easier if you choose this unit when the time comes.  The stock mounting points are used.  The finish on the HyperPro is VERY nice and the sliding and adjustment mechanisms are super smooth.  

Of minor interest, when I bought (rescued) my bike it arrived with the Heim Joint at the lower triple clamp where the steering damper mounts sheared off.  I was able to order a higher quality replacement from McMaster Carr.  Their PN for that is 59935K43 Ball Joint Rod End M8 x 1.25mm thread, right hand.

HyperPro 1.JPG

HyperPro 2.JPG

HyperPro 3.JPG

HyperPro 4.JPG

Does the Hyperpro damper bracket that clamps onto the damper body have a solid bush or a spherical bearing in it?

Phil

It's a spherical bearing.  Yes, factory mount points.

Edited by ChrisPDX
More info.
  • Thanks 1

Just ordered a Hyperpro directly from the manufacturer in Holland. Now we'll wait and see if it arrives, and how long it takes. B)

PS: their site is very clunky. Searching for the Bike Model didn't work. I found the damper by going to the shop, opening "products-steering dampers" and looking for the right one. The listing is something like 496 articles, 9 to a page, 57 pages. :unsure:

The mounting kits are listed before the dampers, in alphabetical order of the bike manufacturer's name. The mounting kit for the V11 Sport (that's all they have, no Le Mans, Ballabio, whatever....) is on about page 32. The damper is on page 56.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

Just ordered a Hyperpro directly from the manufacturer in Holland. Now we'll wait and see if it arrives, and how long it takes. B)

PS: their site is very clunky. Searching for the Bike Model didn't work. I found the damper by going to the shop, opening "products-steering dampers" and looking for the right one. The listing is something like 496 articles, 9 to a page, 57 pages. :unsure:

The mounting kits are listed before the dampers, in alphabetical order of the bike manufacturer's name. The mounting kit for the V11 Sport (that's all they have, no Le Mans, Ballabio, whatever....) is on about page 32. The damper is on page 56.

One of the many perks of owning a V11 Sport, or most any Guzzi, is not much aftermarket support. Even companies that make something that fits the V11 Sport will often either not know it fits the V11 Sport or not care. Even when the V11 Sport was a current model bike, it did not get a lot of support. Now that it has been out of production for almost two decades it has only gotten worse. Even Guzzi themselves don't have much support for it. Side story, I just had my long standing order for a gasket set for a '93 Daytona cancelled and my money refunded because the vendor has been unable to actually get the gasket set from Moto Guzzi.

• Like 2