Steering Damper of Choice, and Availability?

Kane

Depends what you want to spend. Bitubo makes a great dampener. But you can also take your dusty Marzocchi or Öhlins dampener and have it rebuilt. I have both. I kinda prefer the Marzocchi.

On 8/19/2024 at 7:04 PM, Rox Lemans said:

Depends what you want to spend. Bitubo makes a great dampener. But you can also take your dusty Marzocchi or Öhlins dampener and have it rebuilt. I have both. I kinda prefer the Marzocchi.

Pretty sure I have never seen a Marzocchi steering damper. Forks, yes.

Seems that all V11 SpineFrames were delivered with bitubo steering dampers except those sold with Öhlins forks/shock got the Öhlins steering damper (Scura ans Scura R, Café Sport, Coppa Italia [edit: but NOT Rosso/Nero Corsa]). :huh2:

[edit /August 21, 2024, having learned the Rosso/Nero Corsa have bitubo steering dampers.]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, audiomick said:

Yeah, that's the plan.

It might take a few days, but I will report back. Going for the golden elephant stamp here. :whistle:

Looking at the assembly diagram they do what I typically do with rod end bearing and use an appropriately sized oring to stop the component flapping about in use. The oring of course deflects when needed but helps prevent unwanted movement.  I use an oring on my aftermarket reaction rod so the spherical bearing isn't wearing itself out unduely.Try assembling the part in question without the orings and see the result and if there's the bolt tilting. The orings will probably partially mask or make more difficult to see what we are looking for. 

I've seen images of the Bitubo damper and it also looks nice but I think all of the "name" dampers including the Ohlins seem way overpriced for what they really are. Even the dampers alone are approaching the cost of a decent rear shock.

EDIT....I came across this image I had saved on my computer when doing my own Ohlins damper conversion of the Standard V11 Sport Ohlins damper instillation and body bracket. Note how the Ohlins body bracket is a simple lug with a threaded hole and no spherical bearing. I couldn't buy one of these and the clamping bracket was too complex a shape for me to machine and it look decent so I bought the Ducabike one with the spherical bearing and then machined a triple clamp lug I could do half decently instead. 

Screenshot 2024-08-20 125107.png

Phil

Edited by Lucky Phil
  • Like 3

@Lucky Phil,

Thanks for the edit and image of the Öhlins steering damper as supplied on the specific V11 SpineFrame models.

If I understand correctly, the factory V11 Guzzi mounting brackets, both bitubo and Öhlins, have solid mounts to the damper body and the "bolt tilt"/dead spot is a non-issue.

It is the aftermarket dampers and possibly dampers fitted from other applications that may have the problematic, duplicate bearing on the damper body mount.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, docc said:

Seems that all V11 SpineFrames were delivered with bitubo steering dampers except those sold with Öhlins forks/shock got the Öhlins steering damper (Scura, Café Sport, Coppa Italia, Rosso/Nero Corse). :huh2:

Luigi must have been out of Ohlins steering dampers for the run of Nero Corsas
My bike and other Nero’s I’ve seen all have Bitubo dampers

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, docc said:

Seems that all V11 SpineFrames were delivered with bitubo steering dampers except those sold with Öhlins forks/shock got the Öhlins steering damper (Scura, Café Sport, Coppa Italia, Rosso/Nero Corse). :huh2:

You're correct. Just ran out to see what was on my LeMans.. Bitubo..Cerebral flatulence.. I find the Bitubo to be better than the Öhlins on my Scura. 

Edited by Rox Lemans
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, guzzigary said:

Hmm, could be presumptuous of me to conclude Öhlins suspension equipped V11 SpineFrames also/all had Öhlins steering dampers - perhaps not the Rosso/Nero Corsa? :huh2:

@Tomchri (and others) could take a look at their V11 Corsa and report back?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, guzzigary said:

Or the other way 'round: he ran out of Bitubos, and swung a deal with Öhlins to chuck a crate of dampers in with the shocks he was ordering for the flash model that year. :huh2: :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, docc said:

Hmm, could be presumptuous of me to conclude Öhlins suspension equipped V11 SpineFrames also/all had Öhlins steering dampers - perhaps not the Rosso/Nero Corsa? :huh2:

@Tomchri (and others) could take a look at their V11 Corsa and report back?

Rosso C and Nero Corsa has both Bitubo. Coppa Italia with Øhlins.  Cleaned both Bitubo's, filled with ATF, works fine.

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Rosso C and Nero Corsa has both Bitubo. Coppa Italia with Øhlins.  Cleaned both Bitubo's, filled with ATF, works fine.

Cheers Tom.

Edited my post. Thanks for the input @Tomchri and @guzzigary ! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2024 at 2:41 PM, Tomchri said:

Cheers Tom.

Scura also equipped with Ohlins damper…must match the shocks front and rear.  😊 At least mine is…I hope all the other Scuras also.

• Thanks 1