converti bars

Guest callithrix

Guest callithrix

Anybody else using the converti-bars? I installed them on 03 lemans and have'nt found a comfortable position.

Guest callithrix

Ahh, that's the position I want but I own a lemans. The triple clamps mounts about 1 1/2" lower than on the V11, so I have interference with the lines and the forks. That pic is very helpful thank you! :pic:

Cal...

That's very odd, as actually the triple-clamp on a LeMans(or 02+ Sport) is not lower... the forks are just longer... extending another 20 or so mm to accomodate the top mounted clip-ons of the later V11 Sport models. The ratio/spacing of the triples to the headstock, etc on a late model Sport/LeMans should be the same as any other Sport.

Everything *should* be exactly as in Lex's photo, even on a LeMans. If it's not, I don't know why. The only difference between a Sport and LeMans solution would of course be fairing clearances.

However, are you saying that the 'converti bars' perhaps don't clear the fairing and other bits down in the fairing as you turn the bars? I could see how this could possibly happen with solutions like this that extend the effective width of the forks inside the fairing :unsure:

al

Guest callithrix

As you stated the forks are longer there by causing the triple clamp to be situtuated deeper in relation to the top of the fork tubes. The top of the fork tubes interfere with the banjo bolts clearance so that placement of the bars require the handlebar to be mounted higher to clear the top of the taller forks. Remember the mounts for the converti bars are placed under the triple clamp.

It might, but based on the photo from Lex's bike above, it doesn't even look like the nose of the master-cylinder will clear the 02+ taller forks.... regardless :unsure:

...maybe a side photo from Lex could show the clearance better, but if Cal wants to not have to jack the bars waaaay high to clear the fork crowns, this may not be a very workable solution it seems. :huh2: Too bad if so :(

I guess it depends on how high/low Cal wants the bars??

al

Curses. I was within a hairsbreadth of ordering a set. They do offer the bars in 2 or 3 different lengths as well as zero and 5 degree angles. What's to stop us from raising the triple clamp on the forks. Never mind. I just went out and looked. The fork is turned down just above the lower triple clamp. Maybe there is room to run the hose between the fork and the gas tank?

I may have to relegate this bike to short (250 miles or less) trips. :(

Well regardless of if you could raise the triples because of fork diameter(which you can BTW), you would seriously alter the handling characteristics of your bike by doing so :blink:

Raising the triples ~20mm would be a dramatic change in geometry for the bike... and probably "dramatic" in a bad way :o

...you like choppers? :P

al

On the bright side. I would have less wasted fuel. LOL :grin:

My first bike, a 350 Honda, had 4 inch extended forks and it handled like a charm.

Seriously though, I've learned as a mechanical engineer, to attack problems by starting out looking at the most outlandish solution and working back to the more contemporary fix. Sometimes the off the wall fix is the simplest.

From my recollection of the Le Mans front end you wouldn't have any trouble getting the ConvertiBars high enough to clear the top of the forks but you would absolutely need longer clutch and brake hoses. I can't say if this would clear the fairing. I'm liking my "naked" V11 Sport more and more. :thumbsup:

Lex

• 2 weeks later...
Who makes the converti-bars and what price?

Can you keep the standard hydraulic lines or do they need replacing?

It looks easer than drilling the top yolk and fitting a set ao bars.

Feildsheer,

The nice thing about the Convertibars is the adjustability. The bars themselves offer pretty much unlimited adjustability. My personal "Holy Grail" of riding positions is the R90S, low enough for good road feel and high enough that I can spend a long day on the bike and still get off with a smile. I have my 'bars very close the that positions nearly 3" (75 MM) closer to me and slightly higher, see the picture of my bike above. You can also drop the bars about 2" (~50 MM) lower than stock or nearly anything in-between. If you set things up correctly (almost certainly requiring new hydraulic hoses) you can also change the position from one extreme to the other in under a minute.

It sounds like you will need new hydraulic lines in any case if you have a 2002 or later, the additional fork leg height of the "above the triple clamp" clip-ons requires makes the stock hoses just a bit too short.

I chose this option over drilling the top clamp for the ease and the fact that I can make my bike stock again should I want to sell it or whatever. As a personal, subjective opinion I find the ConvertiBars with the Napoleon mirrors and heavy Throttlemister end weights has reduced the famous V11 handlebar vibration to a pleasant rumble, much better than stock. I should note that with the stock mirrors it was very bad. Only Moto Guzzi could find mirrors that make the 'bars vibrate more. :bbblll:

You can get lots more information at:

Convertibars

Lex