The SLICKEST Shifting!!!

Guest Fonzarelli

Guest Fonzarelli

I performed my 1K service last weekend. For the transmission I installed Redlines Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil, the blue stuff.

All I can say is Whoa!

This is an extremely slick shifting, no-false neutrals, easy to drop-in first tranny.

Out of the box the LeMans shifted OK, but you had to be somewhat agressive when selecting the gears or a false neutral was the result. But now it's GONE!

Sometimes the tranny would not want to go into first at a stop, you would have to release and then pull the clutch in again so it would go into gear. Problem now GONE!

This is the best seven bucks I have spent on my LeMans.

I second the motion!

At about 4K miles my bike (01 V11 Sport) was shifting horribly, missing 50% of the time. I dropped in a bottle of REDLINE Heavyduty SHockproof Oil (redstuff as I recall) and the problem diminished to about 5%.

Shortly afterwards I found out my bike was being recalled..the point being that the REDLINE nearly resolved the problem for me! Sorry to say however, that the % of missed shifts has begun to creep up, so now I'll see how well this recall fix works!

If your tranny works well now, add the REDLINE and it'll work weller :whistle:

I have found with the carbed 1100 sport condition of the final drive oil is critical to the shift quality. I can even tell when the final drive oil starts to go off. I have used the redline oil and found it made little to no difference to the operation of the bike and emptyed my pocket somewhat. I now change the final drive oil with the engine oil every 5000kms with a graphite based treatment (read moloy). I have foun this keeps the five speed crashing away quiet happily. Possibly you have experinced the effect of going from dead oil to good oil. Anyway I found if made little to no difference and didn't last particulary longer than mineral oil. My experinces only of course.

Guest vkerrigan

Glad to hear of your improvement! I realized the same thing when I went to the Shockproof Heavy like Joe in my 02 LeMans. I would be interested to know why you chose the Light vs the Heavy Shockproof (typical ambient where you live, protects as well as heavy,etc). Sure don't want to be accused of starting another oil thread, but I've had great luck with Redline for all the oils in the bike and their synthetic grease for the driveline (and I don't own any stock in the company).

Happy Trails!...........vk

Guest Fonzarelli

Well, I was anxious to try the Light because of it's 20W likeness and 75W175 Viscosity Rating.

I figured that since I also bought a bottle of Heavy (it was intended for the rear) I could try it a later date and get a better comparison.

Some guy on WildGuzzi said the Heavy caused undue wear after many mile with Dino Oil. I don't know if I buy that. Could have just been a coincedence.

I will probably drain the factory diff oil and replace it with Heavy Shockproof.

Guest vkerrigan

Fonz,

Thanks for the feedback and insight on the Shockproof Light. Based on your experience I may try some as well...........Best Regards......vk

Redline product information does not recommend the shockproof gear oil for synchromesh tansmissions. Rather, the MTL manual transmission lube is recommended :rasta: .

Bike Gearboxes including Guzzi's are not synchromesh. They are constant mesh ie all the gears are turning all the time which one is driving the output shaft is the only thing that changes. Yes first is doing quiet a few rotations a minute with top gear maxed out.

I did ask Redline directly and they recommended Shockproof Heavy (red color) for the box and rear end for Guzzi. No changes needed for life.

Light was an improvement, Heavy made it perfect.

Interesting. I just drained my Redline heavy shockproof. I think it was too much. My bike would get stuck in 2nd gear under very hard throttle. Wouldn't shift up to third. Moto International recommened going back to Valvolene. Instead, I'm going to try Napa's 'Royal Purple' synthetic 75-180. Even after draining a hot gearbox and leaving it open for an hour, all the parts are heavily coated with Redline. I will being able to tell tomorrow how it acts on my Twin Peaks Run.

Back from my run and happy to report that 'Royal Purple' gear oil was WAY BETTER than heavy Redline Shockproof. At least with my gearbox. Very smooth action all day and no stuck gears. Weird. No doubt Redline protects your bits and pieces, but there must be some point where viscocity becomes like a lever working against you. I suppose if your gearbox did not have a funny glitch like mine, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.