Pluses and minuses of the filter pod setup

Guest MotoMessiah

Guest MotoMessiah

Besides looking cool I'm wondering how significant the hp or power gains are after removing the stock air filter and replacing it with filter pods. Has anyone done a dyno with them in?

It has been proved that the stock airbox restricts airflow.

Pods or removed lid helps, but I don't think anyone has done

a before/after dyno comparation with just different air filters.

.. and it looks AND sounds cool too... :rasta:

Several of us have done various dyno runs.... I think I'm up to four now :rolleyes: ... but as mentioned above, it's rare that someone had the time or money to get a run that singled out the one variable of switching from the airbox to the pods.

So I don't know the question for sure, although I believe there is a dyno run or two linked from Guzzitech that does compare it as close as I've seen, only throwing exhaust mods into the mix.

I suspect though that it's more form than function. Maybe there's a little power to be gained, especially when compared to a bone stock airbox(versus an airbox lid eliminator, which seems to work well too), but I doubt it is anything dramatic honestly.

I liked my conversion mostly because I felt like the airbox cluttered things up too much under the tank, especially in regards to cool airflow around the engine, and it was in the way of my various fuel-pump relocation experiments :P ...so OUT IT CAME! :sun:

... and hey, to even "muddy up the waters further" in regard to form over function, I even kept my sidecovers(having to make a custom frame to support them) over my pods, as I like the look of the covers better :blink:

Hrmm, I'm sure that didn't help at all did it :unsure:

:D