porkchop touch-up

leafman60

Are the red porkchop brackets anodized or painted. In either case, is there any sort of touch-up paint that'll render a similar look? I need to fix a couple of scrapes. :rasta:

i'm not sure if your scura looks like the earlier V11Sport or the later LeMans?

The LeMans does have a more anodized look but I understand this is really paint.

The y2k and '01 red frame Sport can be matched with Testor's Enamel italian Red. don't ask me how I know. :blush:

Correct,

The 00-01 bikes have a red enamel finish, where starting with 02 the finish is also paint, but it's a candy finish that appears anodized.

Other than the red touch-up for the earlier color, I've not seen any touch-up paint for the later color that works.... although there may be a good nail-polish out there that may work.

al

...so, how are the various rebuilds going Carl?

Slow. Had I realized the frame was bent (mea culpa) I would never have embarked on the odyssey of re-building this bike. I would have bought a LeMans and been done with it. Ah well. Words to the wise. Never, ever, try to re-build/restore three bikes simultaneously unless you're a professional!!! I'm not. Parts get mixed up. Still, yesterday was a watershed day. I got the V11 Sport frame back together as far as the picture shows and I got the !$%! swingarm on the California back on. That's huge. The California is most miserable bitch of a bike to work on I've ever dealt with. I should have it back together sometime this week though, screw-ups permitting. The V11 Sport is a little different matter. It might make it to final assembly within two weeks, depending upon whether I send more parts out to the powder coaters. Costly. I need more overtime... The Ambassador will be a strange beast. While it's a much simpler bike overall, I didn't take it apart, so the boxes and buckets of things in my shed that belong to it will have to be sorted through. And polished. And painted. Etc. Maybe this year, maybe next. The Sport 1100i is back together, but not running properly. I need to check the exhaust system and find the air leak, then finish the wide band O2 sensor kit, install the sensor, Cliff Jeffries computer, fire up the laptop, install stuff and start learning how to optomise the ECU for ported heads, then install the dual plug coils and make yet a different map for that combination. If it seems somewhat redundant to start with the single plug map first when the heads already are dual capable, it reflects on the impending installation of the Cliff Jeffries computer for the V11 Sport when that bike is runnng. Besides, installing the coils on the Sport 1100i is a 4 hour job. Seriously. That is the least accessable location of parts on the bike that isn't on the inside of the engine or transmission. And, just to confuse the issue, I have enough parts to make the V11 Sport into a six speed Sport 1100i. Wait until the Department of Motor Vehicles has to update their files on this one!!! 1996 frame from the UK, with 1997/2001 body parts, 2001 running gear.

Taking the average for these body years gives me a year of manufacture of 1998. About the only thing doesn't seem to have been changed somehow is the engine. That's what I need to do. Change the engine! I need a 4V engine. Anyone got one laying around?

Poor Carl, I feel for ya :blink:

Well, I hope you get ONE of them back in running condition before Summer is past.

I'm very interested to hear your results and reports on Cliff's computer, especially in the closed-loop mode.

Keep us posted :thumbsup:

al

OK, I have found a close matcvh for the red "anodize" paint > Testor's 1152 metallic red. BUTTTTT, dont shake it up too much. If too much of the metal flake which settles in the bottom of the jar gets mixed into the paint, it will look too pink. Open the little jar and take from the yop, the redder pigment. You may need to stir a wee bit to get enough metal to affect that look.